Chapter 6

I am so sorry for the delayed publish! I was really busy the last two days, and as much as I rushed, I couldn't get it done! I'll make sure to publish on time from now on. 

For a few days, nothing much happened. I didn't understand why at first, but Fitz and Maruca gave me weird looks every time they saw me. They looked excited, like they had a secret I wasn't in on.

I finally confronted Fitz about it on the third day of it. I caught up to him in the crowded hallway on the way to my next class.

"Hey, Fitz!" I called out. He stopped, waiting until I got to him, before he spoke.

"Hey, Keefe. What's up?" I sighed.

"You've been acting really weird around me lately." I told him. "What's going on?" Fitz pursed his lips, pulling me out of the crowd so they wouldn't hear him.

"I can't elaborate too much, but be expecting something from Biana." he had a teasing look in his eye, and my stomach dropped. He walked off before I could say anything else, and I headed in the opposite direction to my class.

. . .

The event he'd been referencing happened that day. I went to Everglen after school with Fitz, and we hung out together in his room for about an hour. Then, he claimed he needed to talk to his father about something and promptly left me alone. It was no shock when Biana happened to be walking by a few minutes later and came in to talk to me.

"Hi, Biana," I greeted her.

"Hey, Keefe," she was smiling and blushing, and I knew exactly what was coming. Might as well get it over with, I thought.

"So did you need to talk to me about something?" I questioned. She blushed even harder.

"Keefe, I've known you for a long time," she began. "And I know you and my brother are really close friends, but I need to tell you something. I... like you. I have for a long time now, and I need to know if you feel the same." I sighed heavily, and her confident smile faded.

"Biana..." I didn't want to hurt her. "I'm sorry, but you're just a friend." She stared at me, incredulous, for a moment, her mouth hanging open. Then her teal eyes glistened with tears, and she left without another word. It wasn't long before Fitz returned, fuming.

"What the heck, Keefe?!" he yelled at me. "Why would you say that to her?!"

"I just don't like her like that, Fitz," I sighed.

"She's my sister. You could've at least said something better than that!" he insisted. "You might as well leave now." Taken aback by the sudden dismissal, I grabbed my backpack from the door and left his house, hopping into my car and driving back home. The ride was definitely more pleasant when Sophie was with me, I couldn't help but think. Honestly, it's just more pleasant with her in general. The thought brought a smile to my face. It lingered until I walked into my house to find my parents once again screaming at each other. With a sigh, I walked up to my room, shutting the door. I tried to start on my homework, but something kept nagging me, and I stared at my phone. Don't, I tried to convince myself. Fitz likes her. I needed someone to talk to though, and I grabbed my phone and texted Sophie.

Hey

She didn't respond for a while, and I started to worry that she didn't want to talk after the car ride, but finally, my phone buzzed. I picked it up with a smile. To my dismay, it was not Sophie that had texted.

Keefe, I'm going to do it

I had a sinking feeling I knew exactly what Fitz meant.

What?

I'm going to tell Sophie I like her

I ignored the pounding in my heart. She's just a friend. She's just a friend. She's just a friend.

When?

Tomorrow, can I have some help?

Any traces of the smile I had were long gone. My parents were still screaming downstairs, and suddenly it wasn't so easy to block them out.

Sure

Great, thanks

No problem

It's lucky for me we're having the conversation in text so he can't see how bitter my words are.

I'll explain the plan when I see you at school

Great

I shut off my phone and set it on my desk with a prolonged sigh. I guess I'll see what his plan is, I thought.

. . .

The next day, Fitz walked up to me before our shared first period. I forced a smile.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked.

"I need you to invite her to the park after school." he informed me. I resisted the urge to sigh and roll my eyes.

"Why can't you just ask her?" I said, the bitterness seeping out through my voice. I smiled brightly at him to make up for it.

"So she won't be expecting it," he answered as if that made perfect sense. "Then she'll be pleasantly surprised to see me instead, and I can tell her I like her."

"And I suppose I'll hide behind a tree with a walky-talky like we're in a rom-com?" I joked.

"No walky-talky, but it would be great if you're there to help." he told me. I stared at him, incredulous, before realizing that he was dead serious.

"Okay..."

"So will you do it?" his eyes were pleading. I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Sure," I agreed finally. I really hope I don't regret this.