[27: The Prettiest Girl in the Room]

There was something odd about Elle's stay in the med-wing. While Dr Crawford had insisted Elle had to stay for her own good and that there was no possibility of seeing her friends at meal times, it only took a two-minute conversation between Dr Crawford and Janson for her to be given the green light to join the Gladers for dinner. When they returned to Elle's room, they said something about her being right about needing a solid support system and that she could join her friends in less than an hour.

"What are the chances Teresa could join us?" Elle suggested before she left for dinner. She hadn't seen her new friend all day and really wanted her to meet the Gladers. After all, Elle was sincere when she offered Teresa to join their group. The last thing Elle wanted was for Teresa to feel abandoned by her. "I think she's been struggling now that her friends are gone and she could really use the support system too," Elle explained. "Isn't there anything we can do about that?"

"You're very kind to think of Teresa, but unfortunately she feels worse today than she did yesterday," Dr Crawford admitted. "Of course, I'm not at liberty to discuss the specifics of another patient's case with you, but I'm sure she would love to join you sometime when she's feeling better."

Elle nodded, brows pulled together. "Okay, I understand. If you see her, could you tell her that I hope she feels better? And that we'll talk soon."

"I will pass on the message," Dr Crawford agreed. She smiled, looking at Elle with approval. "I'm so glad the two of you are getting along well. I knew you would become fast friends."

"In the meantime, we'll get you back to your old friends," Janson promised, waving Elle to follow him. "I'm on my way to the mess hall anyway so I can show you the way."

"Thank you," Elle acknowledged, waving goodbye to Dr Crawford and following Janson to the canteen area.

She didn't know her way around the facility at all, and it was startlingly similar to being stuck in the Glade. Just like Elle had gotten used to the Glade but knew absolutely nothing about the interior of the Maze, she was only familiar with the med-wing. Following behind Janson, Elle tried to take note of any turns they made, but the med-wing area was so secure with several security checks, and it became difficult to keep up.

Luckily, her clothes were lighter and more comfortable than the ones she had in the Glade, and her boots were softer and fitted to her feet perfectly. When the automated doors to the mess hall opened, Elle was shocked to see so many teenagers in one room. She had only gotten a glimpse of it the previous day and saw how boys and girls openly mingled and chatted amongst themselves. Most of them looked very familiar with each other, choosing to sit with the people from their Maze, while others were having friendly conversations with strangers who were slowly turning into friends.

When Janson stepped aside to reveal Elle to her friends, they all leapt to their feet and threw their arms around her with a resounding cry of her name, "Elle!"

She laughed when she felt them hugging her tightly, all talking at the same time and making it impossible to comprehend anything. "Slow down! I can't hear a single word," Elle exclaimed through her giggles. Reluctantly, several arms released Elle, and the Gladers urged her to sit at their table. Elle sat opposite Thomas and beside Minho at the end of the table. "You guys look so clean," she commented, taking her time to look at each boy to ensure they were safe and unharmed. Thomas, Newt, Frypan, Winston, and Minho looked well-fell, had some colour in their cheeks, and were free of dirt or blood. "It suits you," Elle complimented.

"It suits you too, shank," Minho replied with an impossibly large grin. "I knew you were pretty but without all the dirt and sweat? Drop dead gorgeous," he teased. "Prettiest girl in the room."