[15: The Serum]

Minho woke Elle up early by banging on her door. "Morning Greenie! Ready to go see your boyfriend?" he shouted through the door.

Elle groaned, burying her face in her pillow and gathering her patience. A peek outside told her the sun had yet to fully rise, which meant it was time for the Runners to head into the Maze. Elle grumbled tiredly as she reached for the door handle.

"That's a hell of a wakeup call, shuck-face," Elle complained, glaring at Minho when the door opened.

He grinned, looking perfect as always. "Aren't you just a ray of sunshine first thing in the morning!" Minho teased. "And look at you using Glader words. You sound way less stupid than your shank boyfriend."

Elle smiled. The words did feel natural on her lips.

Even though Minho looked pretty well-rested, she remembered everything he'd gone through in the last few days. Minho was known to be sarcastic and a strong leader, and it was nice to see him in such a good mood. Sighing, Elle stepped into the doorway and hugged Minho. He stiffened, surprised at the sign of affection.

"Thanks Minho," Elle mumbled. Minho's arms hovered in the air unsurely. "For being brave, and being the first to offer to help Thomas. I know we haven't talked much, but I think you're really great," she praised him.

"Oh." Minho cleared his throat. "Um... Thank you?"

Elle laughed. "You guys need to hug more," she declared, patting his back. "Seriously, it's good for you. Why don't you give it a try. You might enjoy it."

Minho rolled his eyes and returned her embrace. "Whatever, Greenie." He let himself relish the affection and actually felt a little better.

"I knew you'd like it," Elle smirked when they parted. "You have crazy biceps, by the way," she commented.

Minho mirrored her smirk. "Go wash up. I'll meet you outside in ten minutes," he said.

Elle got ready for the day and walked to the Pit with Minho. "So, how did it go yesterday?" she asked. "I know it couldn't have been easy, Newt told me all the Runners quit."

"There's a lot going on and it's hard to keep track of it all," Minho said diplomatically. "What about you, are you feeling okay? You had us all pretty worried after you passed out."

"I think I'm okay," Elle admitted. "I don't know what happened. Newt thinks the note triggered the Changing somehow because I got some of my memories back, but it's all very unclear."

"Anything about the Maze or you being the last Greenie come up?" Minho inquired. When Elle shook her head, he shrugged. "That's okay, Greenie. I'm happy to see you back on your feet."

At the Pit, Minho bent at the waist. "Big day, Greenie," he greeted. "You sure you don't wanna sit this one out?" The teasing lilt in his voice made Elle laugh. She hadn't had the pleasure of spending much time with Minho yet, but she already knew they'd be fast friends. If they had nothing else in common, at least they both enjoyed poking fun at Thomas.

Thomas shook his head. "Come on man, get me out of here," he begged.

"Alright." Minho untied the gate and reached a muscular arm out to help Thomas.

"Hey, you." Elle let him hug her tight once he was back on solid ground. "Get any sleep?"

Thomas sighed. "Not nearly enough," he admitted. "You?"

"Couple hours of sweet dreams," she replied.

Once Minho and Thomas had a light breakfast, the Keeper of the Runners brought the Greenies to the Map Room to get backpacks and supplies for the day.