[13: The Lost Memories]

They are the hunters, we are the foxes

"It doesn't make any sense. Why am I immune but my brother isn't?" Elle asked, staring pointedly at the blonde lady in the white lab coat. Elle and her brother Luke were found by an organisation that said they could help Luke and ensure he wouldn't get sick. It had been almost two months since Elle was relocated to one of their research facilities with her brother. "We're family, we should be the same."

"Unfortunately it just doesn't work like that," the woman, who had introduced herself as Chancellor Ava Paige, explained. "Your generation is the first that has been born immune to the disease. Sadly that doesn't mean everyone gets to be immune. Do you remember what we talked about in your evolution class?"

Since her arrival at WICKED, Elle was put in several advanced classes with private tutors. She learned about biology, medicine, ethics and reasoning, and mathematics. Elle wasn't sure why they needed her to know so much, but she enjoyed studying.

"Natural selection allows some organisms to inherit favourable characteristics so they can survive better," Elle recalled.

"Exactly," Ava nodded, pleased. "Nature isn't fair. There's nothing that makes you better or more deserving than your brother, yet you are immune while he is not." Seeing the disappointed frown on Elle's face, Ava tried to make her feel better. "That's why the work we do here at WICKED is so important. We're trying to make things more fair. Young, immune people like you are doing a lot to save those of us who aren't immune."

"You said you would help him if I came here," Elle reminded her.

"You'll be helping a lot of people because you came here," Chancellor Paige corrected. "You're making a sacrifice that is helping us get closer to a cure every day."

"When can I see him?" the young girl asked, holding her head high. Even though she was only eleven, Elle knew Chancellor Paige was important. Her mother always told her to be confident around important people so they would pay attention to her. It was advice she got right before her mother died of the Flare, leaving Luke as Elle's only living relative.

As always, Ava was impressed by Elle. She was always able to read the room and understand her place. For an eleven-year-old, she was unbelievably intelligent and witty. "Unfortunately we have to keep you separate to prevent infection or spreading of the virus," Ava lied.

Elle frowned. "But I'm immune. I can't get sick or carry the virus to other people. Besides, Luke isn't infected so there's nothing to worry about."

"I'm sorry Elle, but we can't risk it. There are a lot of people spending time with Luke to make sure he doesn't get sick. We can't risk their lives. He has to stay in quarantine until we find a cure," Ava explained.

"My name is Jane," the young girl corrected the Chancellor. "And I want to see my brother now."

"You have a new name now," Ava reminded her. "We warned you that things would change once you arrived. If you want us to keep taking care of your brother, you have to follow the rules."

The manipulation was obvious, but Elle didn't want to risk Luke's treatment. "I understand, I'm sorry."

"You will see your brother, Elle." Ava smiled. "One day, when we are sure we have the cure. Luke will be one of the first people to receive it, and then you can spend every day with him."

Elle decided she would do anything to ensure her brother would get that cure.

And we run