[06: The Attack]

When Thomas was finished carving his name into the wall, Elle reluctantly took the knife from him and did the same. Even though her name had fewer letters than his, she took the same time to engrave her name in between his and Newt's names.

"Alright, Greenies," Newt greeted Elle and Thomas when they were finished. "I've come to tell you what you're going to do today," he explained. "Thomas, Alby and I have decided that you're with the Track-hoes today. That's me." Newt gave them his signature smile. "Elle, you get to spend some time with Frypan in the kitchens whipping up lunch. It's a big job but I'm sure you can handle it."

Elle raised an eyebrow. "You're sending me to the kitchens?" she echoed. "What, just because I'm a girl and you don't know what to do with me?"

Newt's eyes widened. "No!" he exclaimed. "That's not it! Alby and I just wanted to get you two to do the roles where you can talk closely with someone for your first day. Frypan's great with Greenies! We can swap your roles if you want?" Newt suggested.

Elle stifled her laughter. "No, it's fine," she reassured their second in command. "Sorry about that. I was just joking. I guess I've just been reminded that I'm a girl a few too many times for my taste." Newt sighed, relieved that Elle's feelings weren't hurt and amused by her joke.

Elle said her goodbyes to the two boys and returned to the kitchen and dining area to get to her first job. When she reached the kitchens, she spotted Frypan waiting patiently for her. He smiled and introduced himself, unsure if Elle remembered him from the bonfire the night before.

"Of course, I remember you," Elle exclaimed. "You were really kind to me, Frypan."

"I'm going to assume that you're Elle," Frypan teased. Even though Elle was the only girl, Frypan wanted to treat her like any other Glader. After all, nobody knew what having girls meant for the Glade, so there was no need to get carried away when she'd just arrived.

"Actually, I'm Thomas," Elle quipped, equally unserious.

"I like you, Greenie," Frypan complimented her with a boisterous laugh. "You seem like you're a lot of fun. Let's get started." He clapped. "You're going to help me prepare lunch for these shuck-faces today." Elle nodded. "We're going to make some rice with chicken, veggies and some sauce. How's that sound?"

"Sounds good," Elle complimented, listening when Frypan pointed out the different ingredients.

Frypan immediately got Elle to work. She boiled water to cook the rice over a fire and chopped up the vegetables, waiting for the water to bubble.

Elle immediately liked Frypan. It was impossible not to, especially considering how hilarious and friendly he was. He was happy to answer all of her questions. She thought Alby and Newt were smart to pair her up with Frypan; Elle was never left out or bored the entire time she was with him and she genuinely felt like she'd made another friend by the time they were done making lunch.

Since they had some extra time on their hands, Elle and Frypan tackled an attempt to make some pie together. It went well, except for Elle almost burning the filling because she made the flame too. Frypan ignored her apologies and assured her that other Greenies had done far worse in the kitchen.

When lunch started, Elle helped serve the Gladers. Despite only getting to speak to each boy for a few seconds, she learned their names and was introduced to some familiar faces from the bonfire. When all the meals were served, Elle took the last plate and sat down with Chuck and Thomas to eat. Even though she didn't do much, Elle felt accomplished when she tucked into her food. Frypan made the sauce and the chicken, but knowing Elle helped out and got to make a new friend made her proud.