[03: The Circle]

The Gladers left Elle alone until nightfall. She spent the rest of the day with the Greenie, who mostly sat in silent contemplation, pulling at the grass absentmindedly. Even though she would rather be doing something that would distract her from her thoughts, Elle was grateful she had some privacy. She didn't know how much more staring she could take before she snapped at someone, which – based on everything Alby said to her earlier – seemed like it would be frowned upon. On top of that, Elle would probably be branded the crazy girl if that ever happened, which she was trying to avoid.

There was something very easy and comfortable about sitting with him. Maybe it was trauma bonding, and their ride up in the Box together solidified an inevitable, lifelong friendship. But Elle didn't think that's what it was. In fact, there was something cerebral and physical about how she felt when she was near the Greenie. At times, she felt her body leaning towards him like they were familiar and comfortable even though they only met that morning. Other times she'd look at him and know exactly where his scattering of moles was, even though she barely looked at him in detail.

It didn't make sense, and he didn't express the same familiarity. What Elle didn't know was that he was thinking the exact same thing. Every time she glanced at him or their fingers brushed accidentally, his heart jolted. This could've been explained away by the fact that she was the only girl he'd ever met, and he wasn't sure how to act around her, but he was certain that wasn't the reason for his heightened reactions.

When darkness covered the Glade, she and the Greenie were led to a large bonfire the Gladers prepared in their honour. Cheers and howling broke out amongst the crowd, earning laughter from Newt as he took in the expressions of the Gladers. It was always bittersweet to get new Greenies, and this was one of the ways their community tried to make it better. The initial lighting of the bonfire was deafening, and everyone seemed thrilled to get a night off and let loose.

The Greenie abandoned Elle, choosing to walk to the edge of the bonfire by himself. After spending the day with the Greenie, Elle felt awkward standing alone, so she found the second most friendly face she could recognise. "Hi," she mustered all her confidence when she greeted Newt.

His face lit up in a smile. "Hello Greenie," Newt chirped happily. "I was hoping I would get a chance to speak to you."

"I guess I have good timing," Elle replied. "What's up?" Newt passed Elle a mason jar filled with an amber liquid, and she immediately pulled a face. "Do I want to know what is in this?" she asked, risking a small sip and immediately choking. "You know what, I think it's best I don't know."

Newt laughed, nodding in agreement. "I personally think that's wise," he declared. "Listen, Alby and I wanted you to know that we've sorted a room for you. It's got a lock and everything so you don't have to worry about any of these shanks bothering you." Newt's eyes widened when he realised his words. "Not that anyone would do anything!" he amended. "Trust me, they'd be punished in a heartbeat and they're all good shanks, anyway."

Elle smiled. "I know what you mean," she assured him. "Thanks, Newt. I'm not putting anyone out, am I?" Even though it only lasted a millisecond, Elle saw Newt hesitate before shaking his head. "Whose room are you trying to convince me to take over?" she wondered. "You're also a terrible liar, by the way."

"Don't worry about it," he dismissed her concerns. "Seriously, you're not putting anyone out, okay? I was barely using that room anyway, I prefer sleeping outside."

"I can't take your room," Elle argued, horrified he thought she would accept it. "You're second in command here, you need to be sleeping well. Can't we figure something else out?"

"There aren't any other rooms available and keeping you safe is our priority," Newt insisted. "We have a process for these kinds of things. All the Keepers had a meeting and we unanimously agreed you need to have a room of your own. Whatever the keepers say goes in the Glade, so you have no choice."