[14: The Pit]

Elle gasped, coughing as she sat up. For a moment, she panicked, feeling a lumpy mattress beneath her body. She had gotten used to sleeping on her softer mattress in Newt's old bedroom and was disoriented when she glanced around the dark room. Wincing, Elle clutched her pounding head and moaned. Her throat was scratchy and dry like she'd been sleeping for days and hadn't had any water. As her vision focused, Elle realised she was in the Med-jack hut in one of the sickbeds.

Newt sat on a chair at her bedside, fast asleep, with his head lulling back. He looked exhausted, with dark circles under his eyes and ruffled hair. His position looked uncomfortable, especially for his neck, so Elle shook the older boy awake.

"Newt," she whispered, voice cracking. With weak fingers, Elle pressed into his arm and shook with all her might. Newt's arm barely moved. Still, he slowly blinked awake.

"Elle!" Newt sat up with a start when he realised she was awake, immediately passing her the mason jar of water he'd been holding onto. His eyes softened at the sight of his conscious and responsive friend. "Here, drink." Newt helped her, tilting the cup towards her lips carefully. Gratefully, Elle took a few gulps of water and wetted her lips, sighing as the lukewarm liquid solved the uncomfortable feeling in her throat. "Are you alright?" Newt asked.

"I'm okay," Elle mumbled, slightly disoriented. Newt sighed, reassured that his friend was safe. He hugged Elle tightly, happy to see the colour slowly returning to her face. She was scarily pale when she passed out, and her lips were turning blue like she wasn't getting enough oxygen.

"You're okay," Newt echoed, shutting his eyes. Elle wheezed from the pressure of his embrace, and he let her go. "Sorry! I'm so shucking glad."

Elle smiled, catching her breath. Newt helped prop up her pillow to sit and lean back against the wall. "What happened?" Elle wondered. "The last thing I remember is the Greenie Box coming up, and the note."

"You bloody passed out," Newt explained, brows creased together in worry. "We have no idea what happened. I was reading the note and suddenly you crumpled to the ground like a doll. You caused a right panic. Jeff thinks you were stressed or dehydrated so he gave you some fluids." He motioned to the inside of her elbow, where a small waterproof plaster sat.

"I'm okay now," Elle assured her friend. The room stopped spinning, and it felt like Elle's body was finally catching up with her mind. "Where's Tom?" she asked, looking around. The room was empty except for a few medical supplies thrown around. Her arm ached slightly, and she rubbed the spot above the plaster. Newt's eyes widened, unsure if he would add to Elle's stress if he told her the truth. "Newt?" Elle raised an eyebrow. "Where is Thomas?"

"Well--"

She interrupted, "You can't lie to me, Newt. Where is he? What's he done now?"

Newt averted his eyes guiltily. "He's in the Pit," he admitted.

"Newt!" Elle exclaimed. He winced. "How could you not lead with that?"

He pouted. "I was worried about you!" Newt justified. "You just passed out and Jeff had to intervene to make sure you didn't die! You should have seen what you looked like, Elle." He shook his head like he was batting a painful memory away. "It looked like you were going through the Changing."

"Like I'd been stung?" Elle frowned. "How's that possible? I thought you said I was just dehydrated."

"That's what Jeff said, but he's not a real doctor, is he?" Newt commented. "I didn't say anything because I didn't want to make it worse. And I wanted to check on you before breaking the news to you because I'm worried about you."

"Okay, I understand." Elle grasped his hand. "I'm sorry."

"So, do you remember anything?" Newt asked, sitting straight as he looked expectantly at her. "We were hoping that, if it really was like the Changing, then maybe..." he trailed off.