Soulmates: Forlorn and Solace

10 december, 2022, in the 3rd ODI, Ishan scored a double century, a total of 210 runs in 131 balls against Bangladesh, India had won the match that day. The joy was unimaginable, Shubman had hugged him tight, congratulating him, even took his interview afterwards in which they both couldn't stop smiling, the currently persisting awkwardness between them somewhere forgotten, they even celebrated at night with everyone and Shubman cherished those moments as much as he could, his heart inflating in his chest by the glimpses of Ishan heartily smiling, Ishan being happy is all he wanted to see 24/7.

It wasn't for long when it again appeared as they found themselves alone in their shared room, again an unknown and invincible borderline was drawn between them, Ishan's plain 'Good night, Shubi', suggested it. Shubman stared at Ishan turning over to the other side while they lied in bed, he was so close yet so far, he wanted to call out his name, how come Ishan had not noticed that he didn't say his goodnight to him yet, howbeit, an unsettling coil of hurt tightening in his heart stopped him, so, Shubman did the usual, he hugged Ishan from behind like an abandoned puppy, burying his face in Ishan's shoulder when the latter still didn't say anything, Ishan could pretend all he wanted but Shubman knew damn well that he wasn't sleeping.

Shubman would try to steal chances to talk to Ishan in alone, actually get him to profess what's been going on but Ishan would always avoid him or either casually brush it off walking away as if nothing was changed. It irked Shubman, but it hurt him more to see his best friend slowly forsaking him, his heart ached so acutely that he could feel it physically, moreover, seeing Ishan behaving normally with everyone else was absolutely shattering him bit by bit.

In the first test Shubman scored his maiden century, India won by 188 runs.

There was a decent time remaining till the 2nd test.

************************************

19 December, 2022

Night had fallen, dim moonlight was slanting in room through the balcony's glass door, few rays of silver cascading on bed where Shubman was sitting leaning against the headboard, empty handed while he absently stared at his own lap preoccupied in his thoughts and feebly picking on his nails.

His train of rumination was abruptly interrupted when the balcony's door slid open, he looked towards it finally getting to see Ishan who was already staring at him while closing the door. Shubman straightened up watching the other proceed forward, ever since they had gotten back from the dinner Ishan got busy on phone, Shubman didn't bother to typically intervene or whine.

"Soya nahi abhi tak?" Ishan broke the silence keeping his phone on the nightstand beside Shubman who desperately gazed up at him, replying, "Nahi"

Ishan knew, he could see him through his peripheral vision, he knew how much purity and longing Shubman's eyes contained right now, as if begging for just one affectionate glance which is exactly why he didn't look at him, knowing how stupidly he would mollify in an instant, "Kyu?", he asked.

"Wait kar raha tha tera", Shubman unhesitantly answered.

Ishan sighed finally meeting younger's gaze and taking a seat in front of him, "Ghar pr baat kar raha tha fir Mayank ki call aagyi", he himself revealed, meanwhile, Shubman just voiced a simple "oh", curbing to question him further.

Quietness prevailed again as Ishan averted his eyes being out of topic before again looking at Shubman who was reverently staring at him unblinkingly as if not wanting to miss even a single sight of him.

"Tomorrow we have a day off, kal outing par chalega mere saath?", this time Shubman was the one to resume the conversation, observing Ishan pondering over it, a pang of hurt again thudded in his chest because Ishan never did it, he never thought it through before saying yes to him.