Chapter - 3

It was lunchtime. Hazel had just finished her math class. She met up with her best friend Lexi, who was sitting at a table with some new friends. Hazel was happy to have many classes with Lexi this year, and she also made a lot of new friends. In math class, she met Max Tanner, who was hilarious. In English class, she met Alia Varma who was pretty. Hazel also made other friends like Ryan Rhodes and Zayn Rhodes, who were twins, and Kelsey Stewart. Lexi also brought some friends, and they had a few in common, like the twins and Kelsey. Lexi introduced her to James Peterson, Edmond Wallace, and Erica Hensburg. The two best friends became popular in a short span of less than a day.

Hazel noticed that her brother's table was more crowded than hers. He was chatting with Mya Peterson, James' older sister, whom she recognized. Mya and her brother had been dating for about three months, so she knew Mya. Evan was sitting next to her brother and another guy, Cody, and thankfully not next to some girl. However, he was also surrounded by a group of girls flirting with him.

She was sure that her face showed nothing but pure jealousy because Lexi asked her why she was glowering. 'I was just looking at my brother flirting shamelessly with Mya' she answered. 'Are you sure that it? It doesn't look like it. You look flustered' Lexi asked suspiciously. 'Nah, that's all. Nothing else' Hazel replied. 'I need to talk to him before any of the other girls get him. It will be hard, but I need to try.' She said these words to herself, and Lexi eyed her suspiciously while asking her, 'What was that?' 'N-N-Nothing', Hazel stuttered and managed a small smile.

As per the school's custom, the entire school enjoyed a free hour after lunch. Since it was an hour before hometime, it made the hour more memorable. The students were given the liberty of whatever they wanted to do, including eating, sleeping, playing, socializing, studying, and whatnot. Hazel found this as the perfect opportunity to talk to Evan. She went to her locker to keep her books inside and heard a metal creaking sound. Startled as she turned, she noticed Evan beside her, opening his locker. She was surprised that hers was beside his, and her heart skipped a beat. She decided to start a conversation here.

'Hey! Evan right?' she called. 'Yep. You must be Hazel, Jason's sister. How was your first day?' he answered with a smile. She gulped before answering, 'I'm doing pretty good. The school is nice, and everyone is kind here.' 'Glad you like it, Ms.Kingston. I did notice your table was full at lunchtime. You're tracing your brother's footsteps, he chuckled. Hazel frowned at this statement. 'I'm not trying to get on your nerves, not really. Your brother told me you dislike him, and I wanted to verify it. Well, he was right after all' he added, before chuckling.

Hazel bit her lip as she labeled Evan as "annoying." Of course, why on earth would Jason befriend someone normal? This was going to be a hard year. She rolled her eyes. 'Well, you seem to have a rather formal tongue. And hey, you can call me Hazel. That would be quite enough' she said. 'And, do not associate me with my brother. I don't want to publicize it. It's quite embarrassing, actually.' she added. 'Huh. And you remind me a lot of him. I have a feeling we're going to be really good friends', he snickered.