Worried

-Picture of Kyle

ShannonWarburton Thank you for everything you have done for me :)

What a dreadful day.
I've never been so thankful to leave work. I want nothing more than a bubble bath, my kindle, food and wine, and not necessarily in that order.
Reaching my door I unlock it and put my stuff away as I holler out, "Britt, you home?" Getting no reply, I head to the kitchen to grab a glass of wine and go to the bathroom to start a bubble bath.

Getting out of bath, I put on a pair of yoga pants and an oversized t-shirt, head back to kitchen, and make up two chief salads. I finish eating my dinner and start to worry. This isn't like Brittany, even if she's gone all night and most of the day she's home in time to eat dinner with me.
I check the time on my cell phone and decide to give it a bit longer.
I start going through the cabinets and fridge while I make out a grocery list.
When I'm done, Brittany's still not home. I decide to check her room for any signs that she's at least stopped by but peeking inside, the worry really settles in. She has not even been home.
Me: Brittany please check in
After hitting send on the text, I decide to bake a cake.

After the cake is in the oven and I've cleaned up I check my phone again, still no reply. Starting to pace, I call her number but get no answer. Crud. Where is she? I try again. No answer but this time I leave a message.
"Britt, when you get this, please call."
Hanging up, I get lost in my thoughts and jump when the oven timer goes off. Taking the cake out and placing it on the cooling rack, I check my phone again. Still nothing, so I decide to send another text.
Me: Britt where are you?

I decide to go through the rest of the apartment taking notes on supplies needed.
I'm worrying more now because she never goes too far from her phone and always checks in. I finish frosting the cake and decide to go check around town for Brittany.
Getting some jeans on, I grab the picture that I took last week off the dresser and head towards the door, grabbing my keys and phone before heading out locking the door behind me.

My first stop is a bar I know she visits regularly. Upon entering I'm smothered by the smell of stale smoke and gag a bit. How can she stand this?
I walk up to the bar and try to catch the bartender's attention.
"Hey sugar, need a drink?" He asks and I shake my head, pulling out the picture I show it tohim.
"Have you seen her tonight?"
He shakes his head "Nope, no Brittany in here tonight." Well at least he knows her.
I press on. "Did you see her here last night?" I ask.
Again he shakes his head "No sorry sugar, is something wrong? And why are you looking for her anyways?" He questions.
I just shake my head and reply, "She's my sister."
I take another glance around as I leave, I'm not staying any longer.
I pull up in front of the next address and take a double look, oh crap. Really Brittany? Climbing out my car I head to the entrance and taking a deep breath, open the door.
The sound is almost too much. The bouncer checks my id and takes my money, I am going to strangle Brittany for this.
I head straight towards the bar, keeping my eyes averted. Finally making it there, I flag down the bartender, "What can I getcha beautiful?" he asks with a wink. Giving him a smile I show him the picture and ask hopefully, "have you seen her?"
"No, she hasn't been in here for a while," he replies. Sighing I say thanks and rush out the door.
No I'm not innocent, just not my place to be. I get in the car and check the next address, easy enough, it's just an after work bar down town.

I park and get out, rushing inside. I'm desperate now.
I am scanning the area when I stop dead in my tracks. Sitting in a corner booth is three guys I would know anywhere. My heart speeds up and my palms start to sweat. Nope, I can't do it.
I turn around and walk back out.
I take off and park a few blocks away, trying to calm my heart. I text Brittany.
Me: Please answer.
It's a desperate plea, but the truth is I am. I look at the final address and groan, this is the club she started at last night and it's new which means no one is probably going to know a thing,but she's my sister and I'm worried.

I enter and pay the fee, looking around I find the bar and head towards it.
"Whatcha drinkin' darlin'?" The bartender drawls out and I snort with laughter, it's so out of place in here and I can't help it. He raises his eyebrow.
"Oh uh, have you seen her?" I fumble out showing him the photograph.
"No ma'am I have not." Nodding my head I turn away disappointed.

Feeling deflated I head home. After changing I plop down on the couch rubbing my now throbbing temples. Ok, Grace think, what is the next logical step? I jump up getting an idea.
I head to Brittany's room and start searching her room, finding a little notebook I take a look and am shocked but grateful for what I find. It's a list of phone numbers.
Going back to living room I grab my cell and start typing in numbers, sending a mass text.Me: This is Grace Mills, Brittany's sister. Has anyone seen her or know where she is?
I hit send and wait but nothing comes.
Noting the time I get up and go into the bathroom. Once I finished, I head to my room. Double checking to make sure the volume is all the way up, I put my phone on charge and crawl into bed shutting the lamp off and close my eyes. There is nothing more I can do until morning, then I can go to the police and file a missing persons report.
Until then I just wait and worry.