Epilogue

A huge thank you to MDePeel !!!

*6 Months Later*

I hurry down the hall towards Christina's office. She had paged me and asked me to come see her. I asked if it could wait but she had insisted that she just had to talk to me before lunch. I hoped nothing was wrong and whatever it was we need to talk about that it would be discussed quickly.

I was supposed to be on my way to meeting Brittany, well right now actually. When Christina had insisted it couldn't wait I had texted Brittany and told her I'd be down as fast as I could.

Aiden insisted on having my car checked out every three months and the mechanic had noticed my brakes were starting to wear out so my car was in the shop again, spending time with a mechanic.

The mechanic had said it could wait another three to six months but the guys had insisted it be done as soon as possible.

In the six months I'd been living with them I'd learned to pick my battles so I had just agreed that today was a good day and had relied on one of them to get me to and from work.

Today was my normal lunch date with my sister, so it hadn't been too much trouble to call her and ask her to come get me for lunch instead of meeting her at our usual spot. We had settled for Wednesday to be our weekly lunch date and the guys refused to let her clock out for lunch or docked her for the longer lunches she spent with me. To both of our surprise she was really liking the job she had there with them and they had quickly started calling her their life saver as she organized their messy office and took over answering the phones. Now if I could just get her to tell me about the lingering sadness that lurked behind her eyes.

Still worried about my sister, and lost in thought on ways to make her talk I find myself in front of Christina's office door. I take a deep breath before knocking on her door.

"Come in," is hollered from the other side and I turn the door knob entering the office.

"Oh Grace, thank you for coming so promptly," Christina tells me with a warm smile and gestures for me to take a seat. Once I'm sitting down, she jumps right in. "The reason I called you down is that I want you to take the rest of the day off. In fact take the rest of the week off and I'll see you on Monday." Christina says barely glancing up from the paperwork on her desk.

I open my mouth to protest but she continues to talk in her brisk efficient voice that can calm a bevy of nervous nurses "You have been working nonstop since you returned six months ago. Don't worry dear, you're not in trouble. Enjoy these days off I'm sure you'll be thanking me for them come Monday. Now go on and please shut the door behind you," she continues when I don't move.

Speechless I turn around and head back down the hallway confused on what just happened. I clock out and grab my things from my locker and scurry out of there like a child who has done something they shouldn't have and is afraid of getting caught. I ignore the very slow elevator and opt for the stairs instead, needing to blow off the nervous energy. Besides take the stairs is healthier anyways. Still wondering what I did to deserve a five day weekend, I hurry down the stairs until I reach the level I need. I'm slightly out of breath, and ruefully think that running down the stairs is no longer for me.

I exit into the main lobby and see Brittany checking her phone. A quick glance at mine shows me I'm running late.

"Brittany!" I holler across the lobby before she can text me. Brittany looks up smiles, giving me a little wave as she pushes the send button on the phone. Guess she wasn't texting me I think as she puts her phone away and gives a little wave.