Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Kate Ten Years Later

I couldn't believe that I did well in college. My parents were proud of me. I'm planning to visit James - I can't wait to see him! I haven't seen him since I was in the third grade. I'm not going to tell James that I'm coming to England; I want to surprise him. Sara warned me to be careful, but I thought she was only saying that James was a jerk because she wanted me to date Alex. I told Sara that I only like Alex as a friend.

On the following day, I was going to England, so I decided to go to bed early. Before leaving, I went shopping to buy some gifts for my loved ones and made sure that I packed them properly. The journey was going to be dull and lengthy. Once I arrived in England, I checked into my hotel room. I wasn't going to meet James until the following day, so I wanted to get some rest before seeing him. I planned on staying in England for a while and thought of finding a job there. My college teacher offered to be my reference, so I would look good to potential employers. I was excited to see James, and I chose to wear my best dress, hoping he would be happy to see me.

The next day, I had my breakfast, got ready and went shopping. While shopping, I bumped into Rose, who seemed surprised to see me.

"What are you doing here? Why didn't you tell us you were coming?" she asked.

I replied apologetically, "I know I should have called, but I wanted to surprise you guys. I'm sorry".

Rose quickly reassured me, "Don't be sorry! I'm glad you came to visit!"

We decided to go out to eat, but before that, Rose had to make a phone call and requested me to wait, to which I agreed.

While I was waiting for Rose, I saw James walking by with Jill. I approached James and greeted him.

"Hello, James," I said.

However, he responded angrily, "Do I know you?!"

I was confused and reminded him that I was Kate Brooks.

But James seemed offended and replied, "I thought my not writing to you would give you the hint that I did not want anything to do with you!"

I was taken aback and asked him if I had done something to upset him. "I thought we were friends!" I said, feeling sad.

"I am not your friend! I was only your friend because my parents were making me be your friend! I cannot stand you!" James replied angrily.

"If you cannot stand me, then why were you calling and writing me?!" I asked angrily.

"I was only calling you because my parents were making me. I just told you I was not writing you!" James yelled at me. Jill was laughing so hard at me. I saw people looking at me.

I did not want to hear any more of James' insults, so I ran out of the restaurant. My face felt hot. I was hurt and angry. I was crying and could not stop. I heard Rose calling me, but I did not stop running.

I should have listened to Sara's warning about James. She was right about him being a jerk. The very next day, I booked a flight back home. My parents were surprised to see me back so soon, but I explained to them that I needed some time alone. I went straight to my room and cried myself to sleep. My parents were understandably concerned, but they respected my need for space. I couldn't understand who was writing me if it wasn't James.

Sara came over to my place, and I confided in her about what had happened with James.

"I'm so sorry, Kate. I wish I wasn't right about James being a jerk," Sara said with a sad expression on her face.

"It's okay. I should have listened to you," I agreed.

"Do you know who was writing to you?" Sara asked.

"No, I have no idea," I replied.

"Do you think it could be Alex?" Sara inquired.

"No, I don't think so. I don't understand why someone would use James' name to write to me," I replied.

"Perhaps the person who was writing to you was trying to protect you from getting hurt," Sara suggested.

"I have been doing a lot of thinking and have decided to go away for a while. I purchased a cabin in the woods," I said.

"Would you like me to come with you?" Sara asked.

"No, I need to be alone, but thank you," I responded.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Sara inquired.

"Yes, it will make me feel better to get away for a while," I replied.

"Alright, just let me know if you need anything," Sara said.

"Thank you, I will," I replied.

After Sara left, I began packing and headed towards the cabin. The cabin was located in a remote area.