Chapter 1: The promise

-Heli-
...

"Pa wo log hain kon? Aapko itna taang kyu karte hai?
...
Pa nahi they are not good people...
...
Pa noo pa... Please aap maat fasiye unke baaton mein pa..
...
Pa..
Pa..
PA!!...

....

I sat up breathing heavily, sweating drastically. I searched for my bottle on the bedside table and gulped down half the quantity which subsided my anxious breathing.

I rubbed the sweat off my forehead and closed my eyes to bring myself back to reality.

I realised I was dreaming.
In fact it was a nightmare.

These nightmares are not uncommon.. Whenever I think of him before sleeping I am haunted by these flashes of the past.

I don't know when I will get over it.. Probably only when I will be capable enough to pay them back the treatment they gave to Pa.

I went to the washroom to splashed some water over my face.

On checking the time,
The clock said 5 am, and I realised it was already morning.

I went to the balcony and forelooked at the sky in front. The soft chirping of the birds echoed in my ears as I closed my eyes absorbing the moment's vibe.

My alarm clock ticked off informing me it was already 6:30 and that I should begin with my morning routine.

On going down stairs I prepared myself a shot of black coffee to kickstart my day.

After a warm bath, I got dressed for the day in a semi formal outfit.
Checking that all my look details were on point, I was ready to leave.

Ma packed lunch for me and handed me the lunch bag.
"Ma maine apko kitni baar kaha hai ki itne subhe uthkar khana banane ki koi zarurat nahi hai.. I can manage ma.."

"Bohot zyada bolti hai tu. Ab jaldi bag mein ghusa aur nikal 8 bajne mein 15 minute hi baaki hai ab to!!"

I sighed to myself and got ready to leave.

"Bye bye Di" I hear Aku as she comes down the stairs rubbing off her sleepy eyes.

"Good morning bolna chahiye pehle!"

"Okay good morning my sweet sister!" She dramatically exclaims.

I laugh at her and wear on my heels.

Getting alert by the car honk at our gate, I quickly get up and rush outside.

"Byeee Ma.. Byee Aku!!" I shout.

They reply in a series of byes.

I get into the car and lock the door.

"Good morning madam!" Sumit, my driver, wishes me.

"Morning Sumit.." I chirp sweetly.

He gears up and the car starts rolling when I get struck by realisation.

"Ruko ruko Sumit.." I tell him.

"Kyu kya hua madam?"

"Ghar ki taraf chalo na please.."

He does as directed and I reach home within few seconds.

Ma becomes utterly surprised seeing me back home.
"Kya hua kuch bhool gayi hai kya?" She asks with concern.

"Haa boht important cheez.."

I say, bowing down to touch Ma's feet.

"Ye bhool gayi thi tu?" Aku asks from behind.