Eleven. The Silent Treatment

Four days had passed since the unprovoked attack and Judith had not felt the presence of her spiritual host at all. There had been no sign that Jersey was even in the house. Judith cleaned up after herself and kept everything neat and tidy.

Her new bed had finally arrived and even though she was keen to test it out she made sure she had cleared up all the packaging first so Jersey would not feel the need to.

She sighed heavily as she sat on the edge of the new sprung mattress. She felt lonely again and missed the company Jersey had given her.

Judith wanted to forgive Jersey and also find out why the spirit acted the way it did. Several wild thoughts crossed her mind, Was Jersey drunk? Can ghosts even get drunk? Was it another ghost entirely? That seemed more absurd than a drunk ghost because Judith felt the recognisable tender touch, albeit more aggressive, that came from Jersey's hands.

Once the bed was in place and the room cleared, Judith returned to the front room to finish cleaning up any mess she had left over from dinner. Tonight, she wanted an early night to test out her new comfort. With only three more days until she started her job she wanted to get the most out of her new favourite piece of furniture.

It was nine PM and Judith was preparing for bed. She wore her blue buttoned pyjamas, the ones Jersey liked to unbutton during their earlier good days.

She had also worn them the night before. Judith yearned for affection again, even if she did not really know it. She wanted things to be the way they were but was aware they probably never would be again.

Judith climbed into bed and immediately whispered, "Lovely," at the immense comfort she felt from the layers of foam and springs. She struggled to close her eyes however and knew something was missing, someone was missing.

"Jersey?" She called needily. "Are you there?" She sighed and laid still. "Please be there," she said quietly with a touch of sadness.

There was no response, just as she suspected. Judith knew she had not been the one in the wrong, but she was starting to feel guilty towards what happened. She was beginning to question whether she had done something to provoke Jersey. Was Jersey also now avoiding her for something she had done?

"I want us to be friends again!" She called to the room. She was met with the expected lack of response. Judith closed her eyes and forced herself to try and sleep.

Just as she was drifting into slumber she thought she felt the familiarity of the air changing in the room.

"Jersey," Judith whispered sleepily. "Is that you?" A heaviness fell about her and she smiled bashfully as she felt an arm embrace her into a warm hug.

Jersey cuddled up to her innocently and without a secondary motive to caress her seductively. Whether they also felt guilty or apologetic remained unknown but it wanted Judith to feel safe again and wanted to show it cared for her and did not think of her as a sex toy.

Soon after the embrace Judith was in a deep, happy and comfortable sleep. Jersey lay next to her all night keeping the embrace locked.

***

Judith awoke to a peaceful morning. The curtains were firmly closed despite believing she had forgotten to do them the night before. She could faintly hear the chirps of sparrows along the rooftops outside the window.

Rolling onto her side, Judith was disappointed that she could not feel Jersey's presence in the room. Her pyjamas were still closed up and she did not know what her feeling for that was but it did not feel good.

Perhaps Jersey was not ready to show her their version of affection yet. Judith felt as if she was not quite ready for it yet but still felt a twinge of neglect from her absent... Lover? Was Judith ready to call a spirit her lover?

Judith's mind raced again with a train full of thoughts. So much so that she focused on the familiar one that could fix the rest. I need coffee.

She pulled on her dressing gown and ventured towards the kitchen. "Jersey!" She called as she descended the stairs.

Jersey did not make themselves known, nor were they in the front room or kitchen. "Morning, Ollie," she said as she passed the wooden owl.

Strange, Judith thought. Can he leave? She made coffee and returned to bed alone.

"Where did he go, Flops?" She asked the inanimate soft toy. No response as was the norm.

Judith drank her coffee too quickly for her liking and wondered if she should get more. She felt lonely again, even more so than we she knew Jersey was avoiding her, but this was different. The spirit had cuddled her until well beyond when she fell asleep, she knew that much.

"Well I don't know what he wants me to say. I'm not apologising for my reaction to his behaviour," she said stubbornly while watching the rabbit.

Suddenly, a knock at the front door startled her. "Who on god's green earth can that be? Good job I'm dressed."

Judith huffed as she descended the stairs once more, she cursed herself for forgetting her mug, knowing Jersey would not have approved of that error.

She opened the door and stared down at an elderly lady not much smaller than herself.

"Hello?" Judith questioned more than greeted.

"Good morning, miss. May I come in?"

Judith made a feign adjustment to her glasses and studied the petite woman. "May I help you with something?"

"Call me a friendly neighbour with a curious mind. My name is Sheridan." The woman, in her sixties, stood perfectly still, staring deep into Judith's eyes with a warm smile.

"Huh, yes, sorry, sure. Please do come in," Judith stood aside and allowed her new guest to enter. "Lounge is on the right."

"I know, dear," the old lady responded.

"Take a seat, please," Judith ushered as she followed Sheridan into the front room. "Coffee?"

"Tea please, one sugar," Sheridan responded.

"Coming right up," Judith responded and entered the kitchen. When she returned, Sheridan was stood up and was staring into the disused fireplace.

"Is she still here?" She asked suddenly when she saw Judith return.

"Who? I live alone," Judith replied innocently.

"The one that does not speak. The one with the serious cleanliness OCD. She who enjoys the company of others a little too much?"

"She?" This confused Judith a little.

Sheridan smiled and turned away. "I called her Mary but none know her real name or if she is actually female but the majority of the evidence suggests she is."

"Why are you here?" Judith questioned.

Sheridan stared at her once more, "To warn you," she said sternly causing a gasp from Judith.

***

Word count- 12384