Chapter 1: the 1st sorting

September 1st 1971

Katherine grinned at Sirius as they stood in the great hall getting ready to be sorted into their Hogwarts house. They were surrounded by voices echoing across the large room, illuminated by the flickering fire from the candles high above their heads and the 1st years all huddled together, glancing around nervously at the intimidating array of students before them.

Sirius nudged Katherine, pointing towards the ghostly figure hovering idly over the long table to their right, that accommodated the older students dressed in green & silver.

"Spooky" Katherine whispered with a giggle.

The girl whipped around quickly when a warm finger tapped her shoulder lightly. It was the boy that she had met on the train. He was adjusting his wide gold-brimmed glasses as he smiled at Katherine.

"Hi James," she said through a toothy grin.

"The ghosts aren't scary" he whispered, "at least not for a brave Gryffindor".

Sirius smiled, "You must be quaking in your shoes then Kate".

Rolling her eyes Katherine shoved Sirius with her shoulder before returning her focus to the front of the room. It was true, that Katherine tended to be more wary than Sirius and avoided conflict whenever possible. When Katherine looked up at the centre stage she saw that Professor McGonagall was bringing a large-brimmed hat onto the stage. Placing the hat carefully on the wooden stool, McGonagall left the stage, leaving the group of 1st years to whisper among themselves curiously.

"What the bloody hell is happening?" Katherine asked, standing on her tippy toes to try and see the stage better.

Sirius shrugged, "seems like a cult, worshipping some old tattered hat".

Katherine shook her head, "Maybe they will perform some magic on it, transfigure it or something?".

The pair turned around when they heard a giggle behind them.

"Didn't your parents tell you?" James asked, "It sings".

Katherine as a loud ripping sound filled the hall as a seam opened in the hat, resembling a mouth before bursting into song.

"Come join us at Hogwarts,

where magic comes alive,

All of its students,

Thrive with delight.

I've been here for years,

I've seen people come and go,

But none without finding,

Something to know.

In Gryffindor, you'll find to know,

that bravery can come to grow.

In Hufflepuff, you'll find your heart,

But soon you'll know that's just the start.