chapter 8: The magazine

13 beaches (Lana del Ray) -

and I'd be lying,

if I kept hiding the fact that I can't deal,

and that I've been dying,

for something real

~~~

may 1st 1975

Beauxbatons castle

11:34 AM

The girl sat with her legs crossed on her purple and powder blue bed frame, clutching a crinkled magazine cover between her painted fingers.

The print was barely a day old, but the news circled Beauxbatons, news that Katherine Travers was leaving France for good.

less than 2 weeks into the 2nd term of 5th year Katherine received a letter from Professor Dumbledore of Hogwarts requesting that she consider moving back to her old school with the promise of a new sorting and a fresh start.

it seemed more appealing to her parents than to the young girl who had found her new home to provide some comfort in the past 4 years. but alas she still sat there clutching the magazine with the title 'French beauty icon Katherina Travers to return to England' tears slipping from the corners of her eyes.

Grabbing her powder blue hat from next to her Katherine stood up, reaching for her cloak and pinning it across her neck, she swept her blonde hair out the way, placing the small hat carefully atop her head.

"Are you going somewhere Katey?" a small brunette girl asked Katherine who was heading for the door.

Katherine brushed her off gently, "No no Mya, just going for a walk to clear my head".

The girl nodded, smiling sympathetically, it seemed that all the press had that effect, it portrayed Katherine as an innocent victim of a family's sudden relocation, and it made her scoff.

when she finally got out of the large castle Katherine made her way to the gardens unsurprised by the hot afternoon. walking between the large walls of roses Kate found herself at the edge of the castle grounds, a large fence blocking her from walking any further.

Glancing in both directions Katherine made sure no one was around before stepping onto a large stone bench that sat against the wall.

when both her heels had reached the stone Katherine turned around facing the dark gray fence, gripping the top nervously.

fidgeting with her grip until she got it just right Katherine managed to hoist herself over the top of the fence, scrambling onto a large neighbouring tree.

when she was finally out of the grounds she jumped down from the tree, her ankles stinging from the small height as she stood up, brushing the leaves and bark from her hands.

walking through the leaf-covered forest gave Katherine a chance to catch her thoughts, and she subconsciously followed the path she always took as her thoughts wandered.

specifically, her thoughts wandered to a young boy she would be forced to see when she returned to the UK, a boy whom she had fallen out of touch with years ago. 

The letters had been consistent for the first few months but eventually they dried out, or Katherine let them dry out. Her parents weren't thrilled that the two kids were still talking and advised Katherine to let that relationship go, and Katherine who had become malleable in her parents hands over time agreed.

That was the thing about her parents, as unreasonable as they might sound, they were persistent and overtime it weared Katherine down, and eventually it pretty much broke her completely.