Chapter 9: The May Ball

Orange Juice (Noah Kahan) -

And you said,

my heart has changed,

and my soul has changed,

and my heart... and my heart...

My life has changed,

 this town has changed,

you have not.

~~~

May 6th 1975

Travers Manor

2:00 PM

The living room was already decorated as Katherine stepped out of the fireplace, a sense of nostalgia overcoming her. 

Travers Manor was decorated the same way as when she was a kid, the same dark gray walls adorned with green curtains and ugly paintings. Several plaid armchairs where pointed at the fireplace, a small dark coffee table in the centre. 

Thinking back Katherine couldn't think of any minor differences at all, it was although she had never left.

"go up to your room dear" Eileithyia instructed, "The May Ball starts at 8:00".

Nodding Katherine gripped her purse tightly, gingerly walking through the rooms, admiring the large house.

Climbing up the stairs, Katherine found herself tripping, slamming into the Bannister loudly.

Picking herself up, Katherine dusted off her clothes looking around to see if anyone saw.

She was surprised to see two beady eyes looking at her fearfully, the house elf twitching nervously.

"Hello Twinkle" Katherine smiled, nodding thoughtfully.

the elf's eyes widened at being addressed and he shuffled his feet nervously, "Good afternoon Miss Travers, are you able to find your room?".

 Katherine frowned, looking both ways at the top of the stairs, "Actually, I would appreciate some help, its been quite some time".

Nodding quickly Twinkle reached out a wrinkled hand and wrapped it around Katherine's pointing finger, dragging her along through the large house.

Looking around at the hallways Katherine was alarmed at how unusual it all seemed. Everything seemed smaller than when she was a child, the door frames didn't seem so big anymore.

Twinkle stopped abrubtly outside a dark gray door, letting go of Katherines finger quickly.

"Do you remember now Misstress?" Twinkle asked, tilting his head curiously.

Kate nodded, "yes... I do". 

The door was a dark gray colour, the door handle made of elegant gold with carvings on the side, a doorhandle Katherine had turned hundreds of times before. Reaching her hand out, Katherine turned the door handle as Twinkle ran away, down the large hallway.

Swinging the door open, Katherine was surprised. The room held not an inch of dust and had clearly been re-done no doubt by her mothers request. the dark navy and green colour scheme had been faded out and now the room was adorned with gold and emerald green, the colours matching the rest of the house.

A large double canopy bed was pushed up against the wall, curtains tied on each of the bed posts in delicate gold strings. her old wooden cupboard was refurbished and given a fresh lick of paint, the handles the same gold as the other accents.