Chapter 12: the 2nd sorting

Signs (Five-man electrical Band) -

Now hey mister cant you read?

You've got to have a shirt and tie to have a seat

You cant even watch, no you cant eat

You aint supposed to be here

~~~

May 12th 1975

Hogwarts

5: 13 PM

The great hall doors were closed as students got seated, the loud echoing sound of people moving around in the room over made Katherine nervous as she kicked her feet nervously, pacing back and forth.

She had forgotten how dramatic the sorting was, having to walk in front of everyone, people staring at you, it made Katherine feel sick in her stomach, especially given how she was looking recently.

suddenly the hall fell quiet and Katherine found that her heart began beating faster, nerves wracking up as she fiddled with her plain gray tie, making sure she looked presentable.

That was important to her, making a good first impression, so she had spent extra time getting changed on the train. rolling her skirt up to mid-thigh and making sure her hair was perfect, the green ribbon tied in elegant loops that fell onto her blonde hair in a half-up hairstyle. she hoped that these little details would distract from the far away look in her eyes and her pale face, she so desperately hoped that no one would question what had happened to her.

applause erupted in the room over as the headmaster talked, Kate shuffled her feet nervously knowing that her sorting was coming up. She wasnt nervous about being sorted into Slytherin because god help her if she wasnt, the sorting hat would never sort another person, she would make it put her in Slytherin if she had too.

the applause stopped and silence fell for a few seconds before the doors creaked open, light filtered in from the large doors illuminating Katherine's face for all the students to see.

Pushing her shoulders back and holding her head high Katherine stepped forward, her shoes clicking on the stone floor as she approached the tables.

The path she was meant to walk up was inbetween the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables, both houses where looking at her with either admiration, fear or joy at the fact a new student was joining them.

Katherine didn't look at them as she walked, she just kept looking forwards, her head held high as if she was above all of them. but when she got halfway she caught the eyes of someone familiar and she couldnt help but do a double take at the girls she had seen.

Similar to her, Marlene had blonde hair which fell in blonde curls that hit her collarbone, her blue eyes where shining as she smiled at Kate mischievously, joy written all over her face at the first sight of Katherine.

Lily looked very different, her once freckled face was now toned, framed by her pin-straight auburn hair, she smiled with her teeth showing, smile lines framing her mouth carefully.

The girls joy quickly faded as they looked at Katherine face, her expression solemn as she looked at them before quickly turning her gaze back towards the stage breathing heavily.

She figured that now the hard part was over but sitting just 5 seats up James was grinning at the girl, his gold-rimmed glasses shined brightly in contrast to his jet-black hair which was clearly untamed, probably ruffled by the boy himself.