Chapter 6: The Wolf

Hogwarts loomed over Katherine's small figure as she stood in the courtyard, twiddling her wand between her fingers.

Rabastan Lestrange laughed mockingly from where he was standing next to her, pointing towards a small redhead, who was scrambling on the floor trying to recover some papers she had dropped.

"look at the filthy Ravenclaw" he sneered, making Theodore Nott look at the girl, "you would think she would have enough brains to use magic for that!".

Theodore chuckled, "It's the mud bloods, they don't think like us".

Katherine watched as the boys mocked the young girl, smiling at a few of the jokes they made, "I'm surprised a girl like her could make it to Ravenclaw" she said smirking, "shall we go say hello?".

Most of the group nodded eagerly but Regulus stayed back, pulling at Katherine's sleeve, "what are you doing?" he asked, whispering quickly.

Katherine shrugged, "it's a bit of fun Reg, she won't get hurt".

Regulus shook his head, "I thought you were against this?" he questioned, glaring at her angrily.

swallowing tightly Katherine twisted an earing around in her helix, "I was Reg, but my parents made some uh... persuasive arguments as to why they are below us".

"Persuasive huh?" he said rolling his eyes, "didnt know you listened to whatever crap they had to say".

Katherine pushed his hand off of where it was lying on her sleeve, "whatever, believe what you want" she said, walking back towards the group, leaving Regulus there looking rather crestfallen.

When Katherine approached the group she saw that the girl was already shaking in fright, Rastaban holding up her papers, rifling through them.

"What's this?" he asked looking at the paper, "Magical creatures?".

The little girl nodded.

"What is your favourite creature to learn about? huh mudblood?" he teased.

The girl trembled a bit, "I.. I like to learn about werewolves".

Katherine felt a pang of guilt in her chest, glancing at the girl she saw her eyes well up with tears.

"Werewolves?" Lestrange scoffed, "One filthy animal researching another how precious!".

Katherine forced a smile on her face, pushing Lucius out of the way to get closer to the action, "after all" she taunted, "mud bloods are attracted to all things dirty".

a small tear fell down the trembling girls cheek as she shrunk in front of the taller boys.

"aw! shes crying!" Lestrange called out glancing to see what Katherine would say.

She just smiled wickedly, but really she felt for the girl, her instincts where telling her to comfort her but she had her mothers voice screaming in her head.

"how terri-!" Katherine was cut off by somebody calling out her name.

"Katherine?!" Lily yelled in disbelief running over to the crying girl, "what the hell?!".

Katherine watched dumbfounded as Lily comforted the crying girl, holding her close and wiping her tears away.

"what do you want Evans?" Lestrange sneered, "comforting the poor little bitch?".

Lily ignored the boy instead turning around to look at Katherine, "what the hell happened to you?".

Katherine looked nervously at the Slytherins surrounding her, "nothing, I just learnt not to stick up for useless mudbloods".

you could see the smoke coming out of Lily's ears, "filthy mudbloods like me?" she snarled.

Katherine let out a nervous laugh, "sure, although im sure you atleast know how to use your wand unlike this one here".

Lily frowned fishing her wand out of her pocket, "shes a first year!" she defended gripping her wand tightly.

"so?" Katherine laughed.

"so what are you lot doing picking on a first year? its pathetic! honestly have some class".

Theodore laughed lowly, "thats rich coming from a dirty mudblood".

Lily reached her wand up only to be met with Katherines ready wand, pointing at the little girl.

"you stun me I stun her" she countered.

Lily glanced nervously at the little girl who was frozen in fright.

"checkmate" Katherine grinned, raising an eyebrow.

a feminine voice was heard behind her, "I think I should be saying that" Marlene growled before stunning Katherine in the back.

~~~

september 12th 1971

She woke up to loud growl next to her, the hard stone bench cold against her cheek. Jumping up Katherine backed away from the fence, looking nervously at the spot the growling had come from.

"whose there?" she shouted, her heart racing as she looked into the dark hedges illuminated by the full moon.

"hello?" Katherine's shouts were met with a large howl, the other side of the thick hedges.

standing a few feet away Katherine struggled to see what was on the other side but judging by the snarls coming from the beast it was nothing good.

she knew that she should be going up to her dormitory and tucking herself under her thick blankets, not to emerge till daylight but something was telling her to stay there, or even to approach the creature. Deciding to follow her gut instinct Katherine crept slowly closer towards the fence until she was standing directly in front of the leafy hedges.

seperating the bushes carefully, she was met with a thick iron fence, peering through the gaps Katherine caught sight of brown fur and one glowing eye and immediatley knew what the creature was. 

The werewolf, having caught sight of the girl lunged at the fence again using its teeth to tear away at the hedges.

by this point, any normal person would have turned around and ran to the headmistress but Katherine was by no means a tattle-tale and she would be damned if she let this werewolf get captured without even knowing the victims name and so she sat down on the stone bench, looking at the creature until the sun came up.

~~~

The howls got worse as the creature transformed back into a person. the screaming screeching yelps and snarls echoing into the distance as the figures limbs reformed into a girl, shivering from the girl.

standing up, Katherine unpinned her blue coat from her back, and passed it through the fence, dropping it on the brunette girl.

"hi" she said, looking at the girl, "my name is Katherine".

The girl shivered, wrapping the coat tightly around her, "Adelaide Manton" she said quietly.

Katherine nodded, "do you need help getting up?" she asked, peering through the fence.

Adelaide shook her head, "no, i've done this before".

"I can tell" Katherine observed, "you are handling it very well".

smiling, Adelaide leaned on the hedge, pulling herself up off the ground, "so are you, I've never met a human who isn't scared of a werewolf". 

Katherine shrugged, "well, I've never met a werewolf before".

the two girls fell silent looking at eachother curiously.

"do you live in the woods?" Katherine asked.

Adelaide nodded, "yeah, in a cabin".

Katherine smiled, "good, I'll come by tomorrow to collect my coat".

Before Adelaide could protest Katherine had turned around and was walking back up to the castle, waving behind her as she walked, smiling to herself as she found that she might have just met her first freind.

1.1k words