Chapter 3: The Travers Family

September 8th 1971

Katherine was pulled out of Transfiguration class on Wednesday the 8th, with instructions to head to the headmaster's office.

She left the class without saying anything knowing the exact reason for the meeting. It was silent as she walked through the empty halls, her bag in hand.

She turned around when she heard a voice calling out her name.

"Sirius?" She questioned as he approached her, breathless from running to catch up to her.

He stopped when he finally reached her, frowning, "You didn't say goodbye?".

Katherine struggled to answer, fidgeting nervously with the cuffs of her sleeves, "I didn't think I could".

Sirius smiled weakly, "Well, I'll say it for you then".

Katherine rolled her eyes despite the seriousness of the situation.

"How chivalrous of you".

Sirius nodded, "we are Gryffindors arent we? Always will be".

"Not always, I'll be one of those Beauxbatons houses".

"When you're in France sure, but here? Nah, we are lions all the way".

Katherine smiled meekly, "I have to go Sirius".

The boy was reluctant to leave her, but he knew McGonagall would be mad enough that he ran out of the class randomly, he didn't need to be out for any longer than he already was.

"Okay... owl me will you? Tell me all about France?" he said smiling.

Katherine nodded, "And you, tell me all about everyone here?" tears were threatening to spill out of Katherine's green eyes.

"Of course".

The two Gryffindors stood beside each other in the hallway, looking at each other nervously.

"Sirius?".

The boy nodded half-heartedly.

"Can I hug you?".

The boy didn't answer, only stepped forward and embraced the blonde girl, wrapping his arms tightly around her.

"Thank you," he said quietly, "for making it all bearable" Tears glistened over his eyes.

"You too, it was kind of fun".

Sirius scoffed, "kind of?".

Katherine smiled, "A lot of fun".

"That's better Kate".

Katherine nodded, stepping backward towards the headmaster's office.

Sirius watched as she turned around, walking towards the stairwell, her head held high despite the tears falling down her face.

When the girl was finally out of sight Sirius turned back around, walking towards the Transfiguration classroom.

When he got back he found James sitting outside pouting.

"Why are you out here?" Sirius asked, careful to check that no one could tell he had been crying.

"I tried to follow you and McGonagall put me in time out".

Sirius scoffed, "Time out?".

James nodded, "she said if I'm acting childish I get a childish punishment, anyway where did Katherine go?".

"To the headmaster's office," Sirius said reluctantly.

James frowned, "why?".

"She's leaving".