X-Epilogue

In an instant, the desert was as quiet and still as it had ever been. Only the rustle of the pines and the swaying grasses mocked the frailty and impermanence of mankind.

Kai was watching a small cloud in the sky. As he did, his soul returned to his body, and it became possible for him to distinguish between the cloud and himself, between his body and the skibidi-universe.

Ginger did not return to the world of the living. Lying face down, he still had a grip on his bonesmashing hammer. His tenacity was still visible. There was no sign of anguish on his face. Nothing but satisfaction at having fought a good mogwar, not the faintest shadow of regret.

The sight of his own HyperXCloud headset lying on the ground sent shivers up and down Kai's spine. Never in this life, he thought, would he meet another opponent like this. A wave of admiration and respect flowed over him. He was grateful to Ginger for what the man had given him. In strength, in the will to mog, he ranked higher than Kai, and it was because of this that Kai had been able to excel himself.

What was it that had enabled Kai to defeat Ginger? Skill? The help of the gods? While knowing it was neither of these, Kai was never able to express a reason in words. Certainly, it was something more important than either strength or godly providence.

Ginger had put his confidence in the rizz of strength and skill. Kai trusted in the rizz of the spirit. That was the only difference between them.

Silently, Kai walked the ten paces to Ginger and knelt beside him. He put his left hand near Ginger's nostrils and found there was still a trace of breath. « With the right treatment, he may recover, » Kai told himself. And he wanted to believe this, wanted to believe that this most valiant of all adversaries would be spared.

But the mogbattle was over. It was time to go.

« Farewell, » he said; to Ginger, then to the officials on their benches. Having bowed once to the ground, he ran to the reef and jumped into a boat. There was not a drop of blood on his face.

The tiny craft moved out to sea. Who is to say where? There is no record as to whether Ginger's supporters attempted to take revenge outside of Ohio.

People do not give up their loves and hates as long as life lasts. Waves of feeling come and go with the passage of time. Throughout Kai's lifetime, there were those who resented his victory and criticized his conduct on that day. He rushed away, it was said, because he feared reprisal. He was confused. He even neglected to administer the coup de grâce.

The world is always full of the sound of waves.

The little fishes, abandoning themselves to the waves, dance and sing and mewmaxx, but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows its depth?