Twenty: Debutante Crashing

"DEBUTANTE CRASHING"---------------where cali doesn't need anymore water

---------------
where cali doesn't need anymore water

As the scorching summer sun beat down relentlessly on the overcrowded pool, and its rays reflected off the water's surface like a million tiny mirrors, Cali wiped the sweat from her brow, her eyes scanning the chaos unfolding before her. Two minutes, the amount of time she had until her break. Bodies jostled for space in the shallow end, while raucous laughter and shrieks of delight echoed across the concrete deck.

Finally, once her break time arrived, and she eagerly shed her lifeguard's chair. Weaving through the sea of towels and abandoned pool toys, Cali made her way toward the shaded bar, where Jeremiah was already engaged in his favorite pastime: tormenting Steven while he worked.

As she approached the two, Jeremiah's voice carried over the deck. "There she is!" Jeremiah greeted with a grin as Cali claimed the open chair to his left. "We were just discussing your sleepover last night."

Jeremiah somehow managed to match his rotation schedule with Calista's, meaning he also just started his break. "He offered to make her eggs this morning," Jere went on to Steven who was too distracted with serving a water across the bar to listen, Jere turned to her, "Cali, I don't know what to say to you."

"Conrad is—"

"Then he gave you a ride to work too, right?"

"Well, I—" She opened her mouth to protest again, but he still wasn't finished,

"Hmmm," Jere dragged out, crossing his arms, "I'm starting to think you guys did more than just sleep." Jere's tone implied way more than what actually happened.

"Jer," Cali hissed. With the scorching sun already making them all sweat, she somehow felt her face grow warmer at his insinuating tone. Unfortunately for Cali, Jeremiah didn't let their work space stop him from those type of comments. "It was nothing like that, we just—"

"I would love if you explained anything but what you and Connie did last night," Steven snickered, joining in on what Cali thought to be the the 'interrupt Calista' trend. "Speaking of Connie..." He then motioned behind the two who sat facing him, causing them both to spot Conrad just a few steps away.

Conrad slid next to Calista, nodding at Steven in acknowledgment. She caught Conrad's eye and saw the same flustered look she undoubtedly shared, causing her to make a mental note to talk to him about his lack of 'pretending he didn't just eavesdrop' skills.

"Do you need—"

"No I'm good," Cali chuckled, adjusting Conrad's windswept hair that blew awkwardly in the wind. He'd been hanging around the pool her whole shift, asking if she needed water every single time she rotated, and always received the same answer, being that she had a full bottle.