- 11 -

ep. 2.03 The election

Caitlyn and Zoey were standing at the coffee cart a few feet away from their first period. Caitlyn was pouring more sugar into her drink while Zoey was stirring in more cream.

"Hey, guys. Coming to class?" Lola walked up to them. Caitlyn rolled her eyes and walked away.

Lola cringed. "Wow, she really does hold a grudge, huh?"

Zoey frowned. "It's a month into the semester, honestly I thought she'd try to get over it by now."

Lola sighed. "Hey, can I try your coffee?"

Zoey shrugged and handed it to her. Unfortunately, she walked away with it.

--

In class, Caitlyn was flipping through a magazine left over from Nichole's subscription, she never unsubscribed so they were still getting them in the mail.

"Checking out your horoscope?" Chase asked, reading over her shoulder as he came to sit down next to her.

Caitlyn nodded. "Yeah. I don't believe in them though, especially not this one."

"Why not?"

"Listen to this: "All stars point to romance. That special someone you've been hoping to meet is closer than you think." It's total bs," She rolled her eyes, passing it over to him.

Chase laughed nervously, clearing his throat he said, "Yeah, it's ridiculous. The guys here suck, you don't want to date any of them. Uh, us."

She laughed. "How would you know?"

He raised an eyebrow at her. "I live with them. Trust me, they suck."

Caitlyn shrugged. "Not all of them."

As the rest of the class sat down, the teacher walked to the front of the room. "Alright class, I've been asked to read this morning's announcements. Elections for ninth grade class president will be held next Friday. Students who wish to run must be nominated no later than--"

"I nominate Caitlyn!" Chase said quickly, interrupting the teacher. Caitlyn smacked his shoulder. "No, you don't!"

"I second her nomination!" Zoey raised her hand. Caitlyn looked at her, betrayed.

"Why are you people doing this to me?" She cried dramatically.

"Caitlyn Penbrook is officially on the ballot."

Caitlyn glared at Chase, who was laughing at her misery. "Alright. Be that way." She turned to face the front. "I nominate Chase!"

"Does anyone second that nomination?"

Chase frantically shook his head. "No! Nobody seconds the nomination."

Caitlyn leaned over and gave a pointed look to Lola. When she wasn't getting it, she whispered, "Lola!"

Lola sat up, startled. "Uh, I do! I second the nomination."

The teacher nodded. "Alright. Any other nominations?"

The class was silent as she moved on. Caitlyn sat back and gave a smug look to Chase. He just shook his head at her.

--

"Why did you have to nominate me," Chase complained as they walked out together after class. Caitlyn rolled her eyes. "You cannot possibly think I'd let you nominate me and suffer through an election alone, did you?"

"Hey, I happen to think you'd make a great class president."

Caitlyn laughed. "I don't care. I don't want to. And you don't either, so it'll be fine. We just have to put up a poster or two and let the other nominees do the hard work. They'll win, election over, we're free."