14 - Dire Decisions

In my sheltered life, I never believed that a human could treat another one like this, devoid of any compassion. Thankfully, I drifted out of consciousness within thirty seconds.

I slowly opened my heavy eyelids hoping that I was finally waking up from the most terrifying nightmare of my life.

The pain reminded me of my horrible reality. The yellowing plaster of the ceiling was the only thing I could see but it was different this time, I could make out the texture.

I turned my head to the side. Wait...I could turn my head. My heart jumped with the slightest hint of hope at the minor movement which previously had been taken for granted. I could now clearly see all the tubes buried deep in my left arm as my vision sharpened. I wiggled my toes and raised my hand.

Yes...my God. I could move everything.

I was so excited and relieved that the constant feeling of pain went away for a brief moment and then came back just as quickly. I prayed no one would walk into the room.

I glanced up at the IV bags.

They must have forgot to put in a dose of whatever was paralyzing me.

I reached over to my left arm and ripped the tape off my wrist holding the needle in place. I jerked the needle out quickly, clenching my teeth so I wouldn't scream. I did the same thing with the rest of them and then went to work on my other arm.

I sat upright and massaged my temples as the pain in my head intensified for a couple seconds, and then subsided. There were no other restraints.

The room was essentially bare except for the lab table I'd been laying on. There were a couple faded chairs and a small table with a desk lamp.

The dull ceiling lights made a slight buzzing sound. I couldn't see the door but remembered that it was hidden off to my right, blending into the wall.

The blood stained sheet was crumpled up in a pile on the floor. I carefully moved my legs to one side and lowered them. Then I stood up...very slowly. My legs shook but I was able to support my weight.

Suddenly, I had the urge to vomit and doubled over on my knees. Nothing came out, but how could it? I hadn't eaten solid food for who knows how long. They must have given me only what I needed to keep me alive until the serum worked...until it killed.

After a couple minutes I had the strength to get up and make my way towards the spot where the door might be. I ran my hands up and down the wall feeling for anything protruding or recessed. I felt something metallic give way to pressure from one of my fingers and discovered a small flap about the size of a playing card.

I shoved the rest of my fingers into the opening and pushed down, then pulled up. This yielded an unhinging movement as the door opened a crack.

I put my eye right up to the slit and looked through cautiously. I could see a small kitchen and oak table. I carefully opened the door further and could make out a small brick fireplace in what appeared to be a living room with a dingy couch in the middle.

So far, I hadn't seen or heard anyone. My heart raced as I crossed myself and opened the door enough so that I could fit through.

The walls were painted white in what appeared to be a very small dwelling; no stairs up or down, at least none that I could see.

I had imagined that maybe it would open up into an abandoned hospital or warehouse. If the door had been closed it would have blended perfectly with the wall facing the kitchen as it did on the inside of the hidden room.

No one would know the door was there unless they knew about it.

The blinds were shut but you could tell it was day time because rays of sun forced their way through a small window at the top of the entryway.