24 - Life Changing

The carpet leading into the kitchen was drenched with dark, crimson blood; the massive stain fed by a running stream from the floor.

I knew, instantly, that the blood was Julie's because directly in front of me, Beth and Matt were bound and gagged. I realized my worst nightmare when I saw a thug in a turtleneck pointing a gun inches from Beth's head.

Randolph stood out in front of them all, his unflinching eyes studying my every move.

"Yes, it is you," he said half to himself and half to me. "It's remarkable. So what I've heard is true. You haven't aged at all. You, young lady, are a precious commodity. I've beat them all to it, yes, I've beaten them ALL."

Thoughts ran frantically through my mind mapping my next action. I felt like passing out but couldn't allow that to happen. Not now.

Randolph paced back and forth, his malicious eyes never leaving mine for an instant.

"No one has managed to escape from me...you're the only one. The girl you were with so many years ago was clever-yes, so clever. I asked her for your names and do you know what she told me? Her name was Jane Smith and you were Judy Jones, from New York City."

His calm demeanor abruptly changed as his voice rose to a fever pitch.

"Do you know how many women have the name of Judy Jones in New York City? Well...I know now. Needless to say, tracking you down by name was IMPOSSIBLE!! Oh, but I tried Veronica. You have no IDEA how hard I tried."

"W−what do you want?" I stuttered.

"It's very simple really, come quietly and I'll spare the lives of your children."

I glanced quickly towards the kitchen.

"Oh, your babysitter didn't cooperate with us very well. It's really too bad," he said without a hint of remorse.

I responded in desperation and pleaded, "I'll go with you, just leave them alone! Move the gun away from my daughter's head!!!"

"Not yet!" Randolph snapped. "Come closer to me."

I took steps towards that which I feared more than anything in the world.

"Closer.."

I took another terrified step and could feel his breath on my face.

"Look into my eyes."

I slowly raised my eyes to his.

He gave me an arrogant smirk and then, without warning, grabbed my shoulders and rammed a vicious knee to my gut.

I doubled over and collapsed, gasping for air.

As I lay there, helpless, he knelt down beside me and whispered, "You'll never escape from me again. I'll discover the secret of eternal life even if I have to dissect every cell of your living body to find it."

The next seconds were very confusing.

I heard a gunshot at close range as Randolph darted past me and flew through the picture window.

A second gunshot followed as a figure darted past in hot pursuit.

Was it? Yes. Blake.

I could breathe again as I made it to my feet and heard a series of gunshots outside. I looked for Randolph's thug. He lay dead at Beth's feet with a gaping wound to his chest.

I rushed to the kitchen to see if there was any hope for Julie. The bullet wound to her head was clearly visible and her face, ash white. I knelt and checked her pulse, hoping against all odds that I could feel some sign of life.