15 - The Wanderer

I woke to the sloping canvas of a tent with shadows flickering. The cool night air gave some relief as I clutched my throbbing head. I noticed the blisters on my feet were bandaged.

I'm in a sleeping bag.

I heard a crackling fire about seven feet out.

Sensing I wasn't alone, I glanced over to the right and the man who broke my fall was looking intently out through the flap as if daring anyone to come in.

I could see enough of him to make out that he was very tall because his legs extended a couple feet beyond mine. His frame was so lean I could clearly see where his shoulder ended and arm began. It was like looking at a muscular anatomy text book image.

"Hello?" I said with a gurgle.

Startled, he swung to face to me and peered into my soft, brown eyes. He reached down and grabbed a canteen.

I rubbed my temples and moaned.

"Here Miss, let me tilt your head up really nice and easy like. You need some water."

He supported my head as he raised the canteen to my lips. I swallowed a couple times, paused, and then swallowed again.

"That's good Missy," he said. "A gal in your condition shouldn't be drinking too fast."

"Who are you?" I whispered.

"The name's Steve. I thank the good Lord I found you when I did. When you feel like talkin' I sure would like to know your story. Looks like you got lost and that you been going somewhere double quick to be walking out in these parts with just a dirty ole' coat and boots.

You must've had something stuck in your arms, them needle tracks left you black and blue. When was the last time you done eaten anything? You in some kind of trouble, Missy?"

Images of Randolph and Dr. Borden flashed in my mind as I clutched Steve's arm.

"Two men are looking for me. I escaped from a terrible place and if they find me, they'll kill me! They murdered my very best friend and they'll kill you too! Where are we? Put out the fire! Oh my God, HELP US!"

Steve put a comforting hand on my shoulder and said, "Don't you fret Missy. I don't reckon they'll find us. Ole' Steve knows best where to camp to avoid the most attention. Don't you worry about a thing."

He reached into a satchel and pulled out a gun and an enormous hunting knife.

"On the other hand, if they do find us I reckon they won't be in any condition to do much of anything after I'm done with 'em."

"Please, put out the fire! They might see it!"

"I can't do that Missy, keeps the hungry critters away. But don't you worry, I'm gonna fetch you some nice hot soup and after that, you rest. I'll keep watch around the fire the whole night through. I don't need a whole lotta sleep."

"Don't you understand? Steve?! We have to go! Please, drive me to the nearest phone!"

He lowered his eyes and shook his head.

"I ain't got no car. You see Missy, I've been roaming around the desert for a spell on foot. Calm your nerves, if they haven't found you by now they probably start searchin' tomorrow in daylight. Shoot, they probably think you're dead already. You sure would've been if I hadn't found ya."

He pointed to a wrinkled pair of beige khaki shorts and a collared shirt.

"You can get out of that flimsy coat and put on some clothes if you'd like."

I took several deep breaths to calm myself down and managed to get a semi normal "Thank you" out.

Steve nodded and went out towards the fire, shutting the tent flap behind him.