19 - Home Alone

-December 22, 1965-

Judy Garland gave a performance at the Houston Astrodome. I gazed at my body in the bedroom mirror and traced my face. I didn't resemble Judy as she appeared now, a middle aged woman. I was Judy from 1939, vibrant and youthful, but disturbed eyes stared back at me.

It was a frigid night with howling winds as I shivered, wishing Blake would hurry home. He'd be late tonight with ever growing responsibilities at work.

What? What was that? Someone whispered my name.

I told myself that it was just the wind as the image in the mirror trembled.

I clutched my chest and spun around, catching the reflection of a shadowy figure darting out into the hallway and then...heard it again.

"Veronicaaaa...."

I took cautious steps towards the bedroom door as an icy chill swept past me. I hesitated before venturing out into the hallway.

I didn't see a soul as I flicked the hall lights on and breathed a sigh of relief.

Wait, there it was again.

"Veronicaaaa...."

This time it was coming from the guest bedroom, just two feet forward to the right.

Come on, you're scaring yourself silly.

I moved quickly into the room and hit the light switch.

I dropped to the floor in terror. Annette was staring at me from across the room; her face sickly white. Her eyes conveyed a feeling of hate, disgust, and malice.

"Why did you leave me?"

"A-Annette, is that really you?"

"Why did you leave me to die?"

I rose slowly, never moving my eyes from her icy stare.

"I looked for you, Annette."

My feelings of horror morphed into sadness, despair, and guilt as tears streamed down my face.

"Please forgive me," I whispered.

"Is this the way you repay me for my friendship? The only reason I took you under my wing is because I felt sorry for you. You're just a pathetic girl who can't think for herself and the world would have been better off without you anyways. You deserved death. I DESERVED LIFE."

Her shocking response revealed something to me. The apparition was not Annette at all. She'd never say anything like that.

I felt anger welling up through the navel and coursing through my body. Fear vanished as I raised my head with flashing eyes and screamed at the vision with every ounce of strength.

"You!"

"Are not!!"

Annette!!!"

She pointed a deathly pale finger at me and boomed, "Shut your mouth you weak, disgusting-"

"NO!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "I know what you are. You're a putrid demon disguised as Annette trying to make me feel guilty by using my fears and insecurities against me. It's not going to work. Get out."

Her mouth curled up into a menacing grin.

"LEAVE ME!!!" I shrieked.

The next instant I found myself in bed, drenched in a cold sweat and then heard the sound I most longed to hear, a car pulling into the driveway. I bolted outside and flung my arms around Blake frantically.

"Are you okay, honey? What's wrong?"

"I saw a demon disguised as Annette and she said terrible things to me. My God, I'm so scared!"

Blake sat me down on the living room sofa and ran his comforting fingers gently through my hair.

"What did she say?"

"That I should have died, am pathetic and can't think for myself. The worst part is she's right. It's all true!

"Look at me, Veronica."

I raised my eyes slowly to his.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to my life. I know you feel guilty and it manifests in all kinds of ways but you've been improving and I know that with time, you'll put it all behind you. Never think of yourself as anything other than the most amazing girl on Earth."

I nodded and buried my face against Blake's chest; his heartbeat pulsing against my cheek. I drifted peacefully to sleep within a couple minutes knowing that I was completely safe in his arms.

Never again did I see Annette in the form of a demon. She still visited my dreams but they were of the nicer sort where we were just hanging out and having fun like old times. In others she told me to keep my chin up and that she was okay. I asked if we would ever meet up again. She gave me a big smile and said, "Don't worry about me. You have more important things to think about."