Flowers And Kisses

*Flashback to Emily's sophomore year*

Emily POV:

We are now a couple weeks into lacrosse season and so far we've played four games. We've won three and only lost one.

Tatum's been working hard in practice. I can already see that she's improving. She hasn't played much but when she does play, she works hard and plays very well. She's been getting more and more playing time each game.

Right now though, Tatum and I are just partner passing while we wait for the captains and coach to be done talking. One of my favorite things about lacrosse is the satisfying swish the ball makes when it lands in the pocket of your stick. As Tatum and I passed, it was one quiet swish after another.

"Hey look what I learned how to do." Tatum said as I passed the ball back to her. She caught the ball and cradled it for a second before turning her body slightly and flicking the ball to me from behind her back. The pass was a little short so I had to lean forward to catch it, otherwise it was a perfect throw.

"That's pretty good. I will say though, you're btb shot is much better than your pass." I said with a smile as I did a btb pass back to her. My throw was more accurate and Tatum barley had to move her stick to catch it.

"Yeah definitely." Tatum said with a laugh before passing the ball back to me normally.

"Hey keep practicing and you'll get it." I assured her. We kept passing for a while before Tatum had another idea. I sent the ball to her and she held her stick in one hand, catching it effortlessly.

"That's pretty impressive." I said. Catching and throwing with one hand is really hard. You have to have serious arm strength to do it.

"You try." Tatum said as she threw the ball back to me with one hand. I tried to catch it but I was unable to keep the ball in my pocket. Her throw was much stronger than I was able to handle.

"Okay so I can btb better than you but you have much stronger arm strength than me." I said with a laugh.

"Yeah I guess so." Tatum replied with a smile. I could tell that she was proud of herself for finally beating me at something.

Then, you could heard the sound of coaches whistle blowing. We all stopped partner passing and jogged over to him, forming a circle around him and the captains.

"Alright we are going to get into some 7v7. I want the starting lineup for attack and defense in. Subs fill in where you can." Coach Crowley instructed.

I went on attack with one of our other midfielders and our four attack players. Our other midfielder went on defense with the four defense players. Two subs went in on defense to give them an even seven and Tatum went on attack to give us seven.

"Okay let's swing it around once before we run some plays." One of the captains instructed. We passed the ball from player to player, catching and throwing with our outside hand so that the defense would have a harder time intercepting the pass.

"Hey let's run wheel!" Our captain said as she passed the ball back down to one of the players behind the net before running off to her designated spot in the play. I did the same, doing cuts at the top of the twelve to distract the defense.

Wheel is a play where three players go behind the net. The first player has the ball and she rolls the crease in an attempt to score. The two other attack players trail behind her. If she can't get a shot off, she passes the ball to the second attacker and the second will pass to the third if she can't get a shot. It keeps going around in a circle until someone can score or until the play is called dead because it didn't work.