Nothing Feels Fake About This

Tatum POV:

When I got home from "practice" that day, I couldn't suppress the huge smile that was plastered over my face. I tossed my keys on the counter and placed my unused backpack on the floor by the door. Maybe I would do some of the work I missed today later. I then kicked off my shoes before walking further into the house.

I walked into the living room to see my mom sitting on the couch and watching tv. I plopped down on the couch before placing my arms behind my head and leaning back into the cushions.

"Where's dad and Weston?" I asked.

"He went to bring your brother to his practice. They'll be back by dinner time." My mom replied. I just nodded in response even though she wasn't looking at me. It was silent for a couple of minutes, the only noise coming from the movie that was playing on the tv.

"How was your day today?" My mother asked, breaking the silence.

"It was good." I replied simply. I definitely didn't want to give away the fact that I skipped school.

"So nothing eventful happened?" She asked. I glanced over at her to see that she had a knowing look on her face.

Shit she caught me.

I let out a defeated sigh.

"Mom I'm so sorry-" I started to say but she cut me off.

"We're you really not going to tell me that you promposed to Emily?" She asked, her face breaking out into a huge smile.

"Oh ummm." I said as I rubbed a hand on the back of my neck. My face flushed with a deep red blush.

"Yeah I did. How did you know?" I asked.

"Tatum I'm not a dinosaur. I know how to use social media and the video is all over instagram." She deadpanned. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Wow mom." I said, still laughing. She snorted before laughing along with me. Suddenly my heart stopped as I was slapped across the face with realization.

"Wait, if you saw the video does that mean..."

"Yes Tatum I saw you guys kissing." She replied nonchalantly.

"EWWWW MOM!!!" I shrieked. "WHY DID YOU WATCH THAT?! YOU COULDN'T JUST STOP THE VIDEO?!"

"Well how was I supposed to know that you were going to start making out? And lets be for real Tatum, I've seen you guys kiss before. It's nothing new." She deadpanned.

"Oh my god stop it right now. I'm going to cry." I said as I covered my face with embarrassment.

"Wow you are so over dramatic." My mom teased. I frantically shook my head back and forth and I could hear her laugh again. After a couple of seconds, her laughter died down and I uncovered my extremely red face. I looked over at her to see that she no longer had a smile on her face, but yet a serious expression.

"Does this mean that you guys are back together?" My mom asked. I sighed as I rubbed a hand over my face.

I know how much my mom absolutely loves Emily. While we were dating for real, she said several times that she wants Emily to be her daughter in law. She even joked one time that she would never speak to me again if I didn't marry Emily someday.

I really wish that I could keep my mom out of our fake relationship plan because I don't want her getting her hopes up but if we want everyone to believe that this relationship is real, then my mother has to believe that it is too.

"Yeah we are." I said quietly. I looked at her to see a soft smile spreading across her face.

"I'm happy for you honey." She whispered.