Chapter 25/Part 56

What the driver couldn't prevent was taking turns however, and when she went left, Gordon was pressed right against Adler's side, who made a pleased wolf noise deep in his chest.

Gordon cleared his throat. "That sounds about right, detective. But I'm not sure..."

"Only if and when you are comfortable. We can discuss everything beforehand. Nothing too wild. Because, sweetheart, you don't need to wear anything to get me wild."

Nope, her hands are dead steady on the wheel, Gordon thought, glancing to the front.

"Yeah, we can talk about it."

Adler nodded. Only then did he seem to snap out of whatever enthralling spell he'd fallen under—nothing Gordon had done. Adler looked around, one hand coming to rest on Gordon's side.

"We're almost there. You don't have to do anything. Remember, we're just going there to watch, and then maybe, if and when the situation presents itself, we'll ask a few questions."

"Is it a specialty club?"

"They call them groupie nightclubs these days. And I don't think so."

Gordon leaned back. "It has been years since I last was at any type of nightclub."

Adler's mouth fell open.

Gordon shrugged. "I work a lot. And. My assistants and corpses make good company."

"Right," Adler said. "Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not much into clubbing either. But we do have the occasional pack gathering. If you wanted to come to one of those, I would definitely be happy to let you know when the next one is. And I'd pick you up of course. Take you back too. Or you could stay over. Whichever you want."

"Sure, why not? Your alpha seems really interesting. I wouldn't mind getting to know her and her pack better." Staying over is a lot though. Or is it? This should feel too fast. This is too fast, isn't it? Maybe it was too fast. People spend nights at each other's places all the time. And I'd like to see his home.

Adler smiled from ear to ear, his chest swelling. The latter, Gordon only noticed because that corset was very snug indeed. Yeah. I think I could definitely spend the night.

"We're here," the driver said. "I've been instructed to wait close by." She turned around and handed Adler a business card. "Call me if you need me. I'll be no more than two minutes away. Mr. Vallois said he'd give you an hour, and to text him if you need more."

"Understood." Adler pocketed the card.

"Thanks," Gordon said.

Adler was already out the car and holding the door for Gordon. Behind the werewolf, in neon red and scarlet, "Red Clover" shimmered above a building, a three-leaf clover neon-bright next to the club's name.

There was a line that Gordon could see as well, and even on cursory inspection he could tell that it wasn't just humans waiting to get inside.

He pressed his lips tight and took a deep breath. "Here goes nothing."

#

[A/N: I keep forgetting to mention it, but if you want to read ahead, you can do so by subscribing to my Ream: reamstories.com/alexapiper]

com/alexapiper]