Chapter 26/Part 57

Adler was hyper aware of everything, but especially of his mate right next to him. Of Gordon right next to him. I can't start thinking of him as mate all the time without bringing it up first. Ah, fuck. Maybe this wasn't a good idea.

Gordon leaned into him. "I could attempt to compel the bouncer, but fair warning. I'm not really great at that."

The bouncer, a tall fae going by the scent of him, had already seen them and was looking them over, after ignoring the ID some human waved in front of his face, he waved the two of them over.

"No need, sweetheart."

"What? Why?"

Adler simply steered Gordon toward the bouncer. Gordon had been looking at the line of partiers rather than the door. He can be such a distracted little vampire. I'll guard him. He can be distracted all he wants. With a pang, Adler remembered when his wolf had been out, when he'd taken Gordon home on four legs. I will always do that. If he lets me.

The wolf inside of Adler roused, the idea that Gordon might not already riling the beast. Adler's hold on Gordon tightened.

"You're cute," the bouncer said without preamble when the two of them came to a halt in front of him. He had a glamor in place, probably looked like a very attractive human to the other humans.

"Thanks, but we're not looking for a third." Gordon said it casually, surprising Adler whose chest filled with pride. My mate!

The bouncer just shrugged. "You can go in. Feel free to make out. Bet you'd look sexy, making out in some dark alcove."

He unhooked the red silk rope that went so well with the neon sign above them and stepped aside.

Gordon opened his mouth, but before he could say another word, Adler moved his hand and gently squeezed Gordon's ass.

"Thanks, but I can't have others see him like I get to see him."

"Still sexy. Enjoy." The bouncer turned his back on them and finally went back to checking the human IDs telling one of them they wouldn't have to wait either if they were as sexy as the teal haired dude.

"Was that man rude?" Gordon asked. "I can't really tell."

"He was fae. Old one, if you couldn't make out the glamour."

"Oh, shit." Gordon looked back over his shoulder. "I totally missed that. This is embarrassing."

"Nah."

Adler was very conscious of their surroundings, of Gordon, as they went through a short, dark, entrance area and past a booth where Adler handed over a few bills to pay for both their cover charge.

"Thank you. This is starting to feel like a date. A very weird date."

Adler huffed. "We can do something fancy for our next date. You can dress all prettily. And once I take you home, I'll undress you and make you scream."

"Shh," Gordon said, smiling, but their voices were already at least partially drowned out by the music of the club proper, dimly lit and full of people dancing, lounging, drinking.

The very first thing Adler noticed was that being here didn't hurt his ears, and the lights, while bright and flickering, weren't the kind of harsh strobes that both vampires and werewolves hated. The music had a strong bass and what he could only describe as a hypnotic quality.

"This is fae music," Gordon said. "And unless I'm mistaken, they are using UV limiters with their lights."

Adler nodded, steering them toward the bar. "It's not exclusively a groupie place, but they make coming here easy. Inviting."

On his right, he spotted a group of young fae, unglamoured, wiggling their fingers above their shot glasses until purple flames danced over the liquor before they downed them.

"Linda Finch went here to enjoy herself. And it got her murdered."

Gordon barely spoke above a whisper, but Adler heard. He wanted nothing more than to comfort Gordon, but at the same time, Gordon didn't seek the comfort, not right then and there. He shook his teal hair out and strode toward the bar, climbing up on a stool in such a way that allowed Adler to admire that perfect ass.

He didn't let himself get lost in the sight, not when there were there to get work done, and so he moved to sit next to Gordon. The bar was mostly clean, angular, and off-black. The liquor Adler could see lined up behind it wasn't terrible, but nothing top shelf either.

A middle-aged bartender walked up to them, wearing a tank top and makeup that would still pop, even in the dim light, her arms decorated with elaborate tattoos.

"What'll it be for you two?"

"Gin Tonic for me," Adler said and looked at Gordon.

The vampire was uncertain, licking his lips. Then he said, "I'd like to try something that fae like. Suggestions?"

The barkeep looked amused. "Mead with a shot?"

"Sure, why not."

"Coming right up."

She walked away, leaving them with enough privacy to talk in whispers.

"I didn't realize you could have alcohol while on the job."

Adler shrugged. "Shouldn't. But strictly speaking, I'm assisting Maxim. It's also generally recognized that a single drink won't hit a werewolf fast enough to diminish his capacities."

"Well, I know that. Anyway. Did she seem like she saw Linda? Would she react like that if she knew a fae died just around the corner after partying here?"

"You are reading too much into this," Adler said but watched the barkeep, chatting left and right and making their drinks while stopping to handover a handful of beers to a customer.

"In my defense, I was never trained for anything like this. What are we supposed to be doing?"

Adler let out a breath. "We just sit here and watch. Maybe move around a little later on."

Adler liked that Gordon accepted this and didn't argue. He was a good partner, good to have close, better to have all to himself. And he spread his lovely scent of roses all around them.

[A/N: What did everyone thing of this chapter so far?]