Chapter 2

Laying in her bed, staring up at the ceiling, Idana could still hear a thrum of activity beyond the door of her dormitory room as other students bustled around the hallways even as curfew encroached. The atmosphere here at the Academy was vastly different to when she had been assigned a private suite in the palace. Or when she and Lacet had travelled the breadth of the kingdom during her childhood.

How rapidly things had changed over the last two months. Even now, Idana was trying to wrap her mind around it. There had been the golem attack, Lacet's suggestion they ought to leave Kastasol and head to Valessei, being offered a place at the Academy's School of Magic, and moving into the student dormitory.

The last month had been a whirl of activity. Idana's one regret was saying goodbye to Qina. The maid had always been there for her during her time at the palace. But while they were still in the same city, it was not the same. Idana no longer had the same privileges she once did.

And finding the opportunity to catch up with her new friend would be difficult as life took them in different directions.

Yet, though Idana knew change was a constant in the world and that it was a good thing she had chosen to stay behind at Wyndhaven, she could not help but dwell on the last conversation she had shared with Lacet. Guilt ate at her as she recalled his last day in the city.

She had overstepped. Reacted poorly. Had been far too stubborn for her own good.

As always, Lacet had been looking out for her. Though he had not said it out loud, Idana knew there was a good reason why he wanted them to leave Kastasol behind and head elsewhere. Beyond just the desire for a sea change, or the rising unrest in the kingdom.

There had been an undercurrent of fear in Lacet's voice. One she had refused to heed because she was fifteen and wanted to make her own decisions.

Idana shifted to her side.

A set of heavy footsteps passed by her door and Idana pressed the pillow tight over her ears. Everything was just so loud when the walls were thin and one wasn't in the middle of a forest. She could barely hear herself think, let alone concentrate on the homework she had been assigned.

The noise was maddening.

The door creaked open. Idana looked over her shoulder to see who had chosen to intrude, ready to give them a proper telling off or ask them to leave her alone. The words vanished from her tongue as she spotted a familiar shock of red hair. Gabri – one of Qina's siblings – stood at the entrance, all smiles.

There you are, Idana! What are you doing burying into the bed covers? There's a party to attend!"

"I'm not feeling well."

"Like the Hells you are. You're an apprentice apothecary. I'm sure you know a potion or spell that could make you feel better," said Gabri, hands on hips. In that singular moment, she looked like the spitting image of her older sister.

"Fine. I have schoolwork to do."

"In bed?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. Now leave me alone."

"Oh, Idana, it's only the second week of class! You can catch up later. Besides, it's a rite of passage to attend the first party of term. It even says so in the rules."

Idana sat up. She placed her pillow back onto the bed. "You're making that up."

"Na-uh. Aleus said it was there. So, it has to be true." Gabri said it with such confidence, her face brimming with pride, that Idana didn't have the heart to tell her Aleus had probably been exaggerating. As the youngest of Qina's siblings, she was immensely talented, if a little naïve.