Chapter 8

"Dendron, just because you haven't packed a thing doesn't mean you'll be able to remain behind. Father made it clear this isn't negotiable." Hands on her hips, Egoni was the spitting image of their mother as she scowled at the lounging Dendron, a battered novel in his hand. "I know you didn't want this, and neither did I, but given the risks if we stay, this is by far the better choice."

Reluctantly, Dendron put down the book he had been pretend to read and glanced around his room. Everything was just as he had left it an hour ago. The travel cases sat empty at the foot of his bed and his clothes were still strewn across the floor.

He allowed a lazy smile to spread over his lips. "Well, if father wanted it all packed, he should have asked the servants. Of course, I'd have taken everything out because they wouldn't know a dining jacket from a riding jacket. And I certainly wouldn't allow such a faux pas happen while we're in Everrun, rustic though it may be. Then, of course, there's the fact I would need enough space to bring along my favourite foil for fencing practice."

Egoni raised a brow. "Denny, you can act as cavalier as you wish, but I know you're scared. We all are. But father and mother decided this was the best path forward for the entire family. Pretend to care for once, won't you? You're the Crown Prince, for Amoleth's sake," said Egoni as she bent down to rummage through his clothes. She picked up a shirt, sniffed it and then tossed it into a separate discard pile before picking up another.

"I just don't think shipping us off our aunt in Everrun is the answer," retorted Dendron as his cheeks warmed. "As you said, Egoni, I'm the Crown Prince. My place is here, trying to keep the peace and provide a strong united front, instead of scurrying to the countryside."

"It's for our own protection."

"Is it? I've already been victim to a poisoning. There's not much more than they could do to me besides just killing me outright. And maybe that would be for the best. I know everyone thinks I'd be a poor king."

The expression on Egoni's face was unreadable as she straightened back up from neatly folding a pair of trousers. "You don't mean that, Denny. You don't."

The faint hitch he heard was enough to give Dendron pause. News of Adiolus's death had impacted them all deeply. Egoni especially. Hells, he should have put more thought to his words. It wasn't right he could be so dismissive about his sister's feelings.

Pride had already blinded him once to danger. He ought not allow it to happen again. But leaving for Everrun? It felt like surrendering.

And that was a bitter pill to swallow.

Though Dendron knew he would have to swallow it eventually, everything inside him rebelled against the thought. He was no coward. If given the chance, he would fight to the death to defend his crown. But he also understood where his sister was coming from.

"I'm sorry," mumbled Dendron as he rose to his feet to help her with his packing. "I shouldn't have said that. It's just...I feel so stifled and helpless. Sometimes I wish father would see me as the man that I am. Not a child still in his diapers."

Egoni picked up the finely tailored dinner jacket Dendron had been gifted during his last Naming Day. "Father has a lot to shoulder. If things had gone as planned, he would have stepped away from the throne already."

"I just want him to give me more of a chance."

She lay a hand on his arm. "He will. Just give him time. He loves you dearly, Denny. More than you know. And I think he pushes you hard while also keeping you at arm's length from the burden of the crown because he wants you to enjoy the life you have now before you have to take on the responsibilities of running an entire nation. There's more to being a king than just giving people orders, you know."