Chapter 9

"Every time I visit this part of the city, my breath is simply taken away. I always wonder how the knowledge to create such marvels could vanish into the dusty annals of history. But what terrifies me the most is how such a civilisation that could achieve such magnificent feats could crumble. For crumble, they did, old boy. Which, in my estimation, is truly a shame."

Lacet smiled at the wizened history professor as he pulled out his journal to scribble a few tentative tests he wanted to discuss with Riveltiel later in the afternoon. Augustine's enthusiasm for the silent sentinels in the city was contagious. There was something special about seeing Augustine gawk at the towering golems like a child. And he was always very vocal in his appreciation of the craftsmanship that went into them as well.

But what Lacet liked the most were Augustine's insights into the civilisation that had birthed such creations.

Augustine's grasp of history was unparalleled. More significantly, he was well-read on the subject of golemetry and had posited several interesting theories to both him and Riveltiel over the last few days as they had experimented with the Paelilia doll.

Despite not carrying an iota of magic in his blood, his mind whirled with the possibilities of their experiments. Unfortunately, nothing had yet borne fruit.

It was as if they had hit a stone wall. One that was nigh unscalable.

And as each day passed, Lacet couldn't help but feel time was running out. They had already blown through half of their funding.

Worse than that, the Grand Council of Valessei had also seen fit to allow pilgrims and treasure hunters to enter the ancient city, seemingly granting permits as soon as they were submitted. Lacet had seen a merchant and his mercenary guards set up camp on the far side of the city.

No doubt, he was looking for 'priceless treasures' they could sell for a premium.

It was sickening.

But there was little he or his compatriots could do. Their hands were tied.

"I remember reading a few years ago that suggested plague and disease were the primary cause behind the demise of those that came before."

"A very interesting theory, young Lacet. There is no evidence, of course, remaining that would corroborate the theory or could tell such a tale but last year, there was talk of a discovery, a mural of some kind, depicting something akin to an outbreak engulfing the entirety of the world."

"Maybe we just haven't dug down deep enough. I mean, just look at Luxenthras," suggested Lacet with a shrug. "For all we know, we could find another lost city that might shed light on what happened. After all, it is as you say: how could a civilisation so advanced vanish into nothing without any trace?"

Augustine stared up at the golems and their infinite majesty. "How indeed," the professor muttered to himself as he lay a hand on the feet of the nearest golem and traced the intrinsic stonework with his hand, seemingly lost in the design of it all.

Most days, Lacet saw neither hide nor hair of Augustine. The professor spent most of his time exploring the ancient city. Only yesterday, he had stumbled upon a massive library. But while it should have been a veritable treasure trove of information, Augustine had not recognised any of the written glyphs in the perfectly preserved books he had found. What words the historian had been able to make out were incomprehensible.

A fact that, surprisingly, only served to invigorate the historian.

It was something Lacet felt he ought to emulate in his own research.

With that thought in mind, Lacet turned his attention back to the work at hand. If he could just understand what made these golems tick, things would be so much easier.