84 - memories

Giana

I stare at the couple in the waiting room, anxious to hear the results of their pregnancy test. They hold each other's hands together tightly, hope beaming in their eyes.

I force a smile on my face and strut up to them, "Hi, my name is Giana. I have your results."

I go to hand them the file, but they speak before my actions, "Can you please tell us? We can't
look— We're too scared!"

I smile, "It's positive, congratulations."

They shoot up in joy and I place the file beside them, leaving to let them celebrate without an audience.

I go back to my desk and involuntarily, my eyes scatter their way back to the couple.

I see them jump in happiness and throw themselves into each other's arms. My vision becomes blurry as I see the joyful aura around them.

I tell myself I don't know why I'm crying, but deep down, I know why. This could've been Nicolas and I at least four years from now. I'm not ready for a kid now, but in the future I would have been. I had only throught of my future with Nicolas before I found out the truth.

Now, the only future I see is becoming a doctor. This is all I've wanted for so long, but I had also started to want a beautiful future with my marriage.

I wanted to be...in love with him. I wanted him to be in love with me.

Why couldn't things just be okay? Why couldn't it all just work out? Why couldn't I have the perfect fairy-tale? Why couldn't he be apart of my story?

Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder aggressively push me. I recognize the touch and let the person spill their anger out on me.

I deserve it.

"You left," a voice wavered, Celine's voice. "And you didn't tell me?"

Celine turns me around, her touch more delicate this time. I force myself to make eye contact with her, "You were happy."

"You were heartbroken." She states, her eyes filled with tears.

I furrow my eyebrows, holding in a loud sob. "You know?"

I didn't want her to know, not yet. And I wanted to be the one to tell her. She deserved to know the truth from me as my other half.

Celine nods stiffly, "Antonio and I broke up."

My eyes shoot open wider, "What— why!?"

"He knew," she mutters out. "And so did Luca. They both knew about the fucking contract and Lorenzo! And neither of them warned us. They let you get hurt."

I felt a sense of betrayal hazing deep in my heart. But I couldn't have expected anything
else—they're not my family or friends, they're Nicolas's.

"Did Sof also...?" The words don't come out of my mouth. These two couples were epic—they were all in love. And I ruined them, I ruined my two best friend's happiness.

Celine nods, tears flowing down her face.

"You guys broke up because of me..." I bite the inside of my cheek, fighting the urge to hit myself.

Why am I like this?

"Not because of you," Another voice speaks out. "For you."

I shift my eyes behind Celine and see Sofia. She immediately runs up to me and hugs me, "God, I'm so sorry. I swear, I didn't know! I would've never let you feel like this—"