Oskar - Exploding Princess Andromeda

I watched as Blackjack folded his wings and plummeted like a black comet toward the boat.

I glimpsed monsters patrolling the upper decks—dracaenae snake-women, hellhounds, giants, telkhines, humanoid seal-demons. I remained concealed within the shadows, keeping a vigilant eye on their movements. 

When Percy sent word that he and Beckendorf were planning to destroy Princess Andromeda and needed my assistance, I didn't hesitate. Without returning to camp first, I came straight from New York.

It felt good to see Rachel again, though the smirk that crept onto my lips was more about the thought of her kiss with Percy. I couldn't help but wonder what Annabeth would have made of that moment. Her inquiry about girls and subsequent pondering of Zoe's reaction echoed in my mind. 

I highly doubted Zoe would have given it any thought at all. 

After all, I hadn't heard from her the entire year—not a single word.

The whole thing with Zoe was left up in the air. 

After that night by the campfire, I didn't see her the next morning, not even at breakfast. I wondered if she expected me to send an iris message or write her a good old-fashioned letter. 

But then again, did she even expect anything from me? Probably not. She never said she did. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that I should've done something. I had paper and envelopes but couldn't figure out what to write. Honestly, sending a letter and getting no response was too much for me. It would've been too embarrassing, too much like rejection.

Racing down the vessel's stern, Blackjack spread his wings, landing lightly on the lowest deck.

Percy dismounted; he looked nauseous from the ride. 

The pegasus soared off into the night. 

Percy retrieved his pen from his pocket, uncapping it to reveal Riptide, which sprang to full size—three feet of deadly Celestial bronze gleaming in the dusk.

Beside him, Beckendorf retrieved a piece of paper, initially mistaking it for a map. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a photograph of Silena Beauregard, Aphrodite's daughter. 

I recalled how they had started dating the previous summer after years of their friends insisting, "Duh, you guys like each other!" Despite their dangers, Beckendorf had appeared happier this summer than ever.

"We'll make it back to camp," I assured him.

A flicker of worry passed through Beckendorf's eyes before he masked it with his usual confident smile.

"You bet," Beckendorf replied resolutely. "Let's go blow Kronos back into a million pieces."

Beckendorf led the way, guiding us through a narrow corridor to the service stairwell as we'd practised. 

However, our progress halted when we heard noises emanating from above.

"I don't care what your nose says!" snarled a voice, distinctly half-human and half-dog—a telkhine. "The last time you smelled half-blood was a meatloaf sandwich!"

"Meatloaf sandwiches are good!" another voice retorted. "But this is half-blood scent, I swear. They are on board!"

"Bah, your brain isn't on board!"

As the telkhines continued their argument, Beckendorf gestured for us to descend further down the stairs. Silently, we crept downwards, the voices of the telkhines gradually fading as we descended two floors.

Finally, we arrived at a metal hatch. Beckendorf indicated silently that it led to the engine room. 

Though locked, he effortlessly severed the bolt with chain cutters from his bag.