Chapter THIRTY EIGHT - Savoring

(A short and sweet moment, but no less important. Wash - Bon Iver)

Gentle giggles splashed against the rocks. Droplets to a pond of happiness. Anne and Ominis dipped their fingers to the cold water, gentle circles disrupting the calm in widening ripples until they collided unceremoniously with the chaos of the waterfall. Wisps of paint drifted around their knuckles like colorful clouds to a clear sky before the water below them returned calm and peaceful.

Sebastian and I watched from the blanket, all the supplies and portraits safely placed near the baskets. My smile lazy and wide across sun kissed cheeks. It felt nice to linger in the feeling, a handful of moments spared from all the rest.

Words unspoken touched my cheeks and I turned to find Sebastian watching me, his eyes tracing the dip of my nose, the freckles on my own cheeks, the curve of my lips. His eyes lingered there, and though not unusually wet, they glinted a particular sort of darkness. The kind he never seemed to be able to shake, even in happiness.

After a moments pause, his shoulders dropped, a breath let free. "I really want to kiss you..."

I smiled. "Suppose you ought to then Sallow."

The edge of his lips quirked up but the sadness in his eyes remained. "I don't want to stop looking at you though."

My heart jumped despite the silliness of it all. 

Another dip of his eyes. "I can't recall ever wanting anything more."

I wasn't sure his words were meant just for thought of a kiss any longer and the thought slid a knife up my gut.

"Merlin, listen to me. I sound ridiculous don't I?" He grinned but it fell flat, his eyes still searching mine before dipping down to my lips.

After a quick glance over my shoulder to make sure the other half of our little family was still properly occupied, I slid my body closer still to his. Sebastian lay on his right side, propped up on his elbow, and even sitting with my legs crossed, I loomed over him. He tilted his chin up to watch me with soft eyes.

I wondered how it was possible to feel a weight as he watched me. Heavy but gentle.

Oh how beautiful it was to be perceived by him.

From this angle his eyes looked deep, his bottom lip a pouted swell, his freckles a brilliant galaxy as they always were. 

There was no smile on his face as he watched me and somehow that made everything far more electric.

I ran my thumb across his bottom lip, his eyes locked on mine even while mine were not on his.

His chest shuttered as I tilted his chin higher.

Leaning ever closer, I let the warmth of my breath whisper to his lashes.

"Close your eyes."

A gentle shake of his head.

An even quieter whisper.

"I can't."

My thumb ran along his jawline, teasing another staggered breath from his lungs.

"You can."

Droplets against water.

"I won't."

Ripples through it.

"I will still be here when you open them." I leaned in close, my lips an inch from his. "I promise."

Slowly, as if to give him the opportunity to pull away, I dipped the rest of the way in.

His eyelashes fluttered shut, 

lips parted. 

Waiting.

Trusting.

Peace returned to it.

The kiss was slow.

Deep.

His breaths savoring mine.

My lips savoring his.

Our hearts savoring our lives.