Part 3 to that comic continuation (again, romantic Sonadow)

"Shadow?" Shadow slowly opened his eyes to find Sonic crouched down in front of him. When he noticed Shadow was awake he smiled. "Oh good, you're back." Sonic chuckled. Shadow drew his breath as he looked at Sonic before he looked around. He was back in the cavern from his previous dream.

"What...? How am I back in the same dream...?" Shadow mumbled to himself as he sat himself up.

"I guess your mind just really wants to know what was going to happen next." Sonic grinned at Shadow and then reached out his hand. Shadow caught his breath and looked between Sonic and his outstretched hand. "C'mon, let me help you up." Shadow hesitated but carefully took Sonic's hand and let him pull him up, but even once he was standing, Sonic didn't let go of Shadow's hand. He again stared down at the water in front of them and smiled at his reflection.

Shadow tried his best to ignore the buzzing feeling in his hand and glanced back down at the water too. His reflection seemed fine but later Shadow would remember that it looked distorted and crumbled, hurt and longing. As Shadow looked at Sonic's reflection, a pained thought hit him: this would never be real. Sonic would never hold his hand, would never reciprocate his feelings, would never, ever, consider Shadow as anything more than a friend— if even that. The thoughts clouded his mind, and soon, his vision. The cave suddenly fell into a pitch-black darkness and his head started to spin. He looked back at Sonic, hoping to see that same smile he loved, but instead, he found a grimace. Shadow's eyes widened and he gulped down his breath.

"Y'know, Shadow... you trusted me quite easily just then..." Sonic remarked, looking down slowly at their hands, still entwined together, before he scoffed. "How soft have you gotten? Do you even look at yourself the same way?" Sonic half-laughed but it was full of disdain. Sonic ripped his hand away from Shadow's and glared at him. Shadow felt himself shrink under the hateful stare and then he quite literally did; Sonic slowly grew while Shadow slowly shrunk until Sonic got down on his knee with a derisive smirk. "Wow, you're really pathetic, and you actually hoped that I'd like you?" Sonic laughed and Shadow's breathing returned but it was heavy. He didn't like being small, not even next to Sonic, who he already knew was generally more liked by everyone.

He wanted to wake up.

Sonic reached for Shadow and picked him up in his fist as he stood up. Shadow tried to wriggle out of his hand but he was firmly trapped.

"You are nothing compared to me. You hoping I'd ever like you back is almost as bad as the crush you have on me in the first place." Sonic's face slowly seemed to twist into some deranged evil smile and Shadow's heart felt just as crushed as his body. Shadow shut his eyes tightly to hide his growing fear and despair but then—

Shadow yelped as he fell to the floor, twisted in his bedsheets. He quickly sat up, hoping there wasn't anyone who saw that, and then realised that was a stupid thought and quickly scowled at himself. He sighed as he closed his eyes, holding his head in his hands. As his mind echoed Sonic's words he felt his eyes start to sting. He quickly gulped and stood up, looking around for a distraction from the dream. He noticed his gloves and shoes by the door and without a second thought, or a look in the mirror for that matter, put them on and went outside.

It was dark, it was probably no earlier than the other time he'd had that dream, but Shadow hadn't looked at the time so all he could really go off was the quiet. There wasn't a single sound; unlike when he had left at 4:00 am the first night, there were no Flickies singing. Shadow slowly breathed in the fresh cold air and let his mind go blank, he didn't want a single thought in his mind, in fear that it could be something to do with that dream. He let his feet choose where to go and eventually, Shadow found himself on the beach. Shadow silently sighed as he paced back and forth along the water's edge, letting the sound of the waves and the wind in his quills take over his mind as to not let it wander. He didn't know how long he had been walking, but he felt his body grow heavier with sleep. Shadow closed his eyes and rubbed them to try and make himself more awake but all that did was make him yawn.