Nightmare (With Kuroo)

Sitting in the classroom, barely paying attention to the teacher's droning voice, I found my gaze drifting out the window. My mind wandered, seeking solace in the world beyond the confines of the classroom walls. As I glanced outside, observing the hustle and bustle of passing students, my eyes fell upon a familiar figure. To my dismay, it was my brother's son, attending the same school as me or well Mya.

A pang of resentment stirred within me as I considered the coincidence of our familial timing. My brother and aunt had both embraced parenthood almost simultaneously, a fact that sometimes left me feeling overshadowed. I hoped fervently that my nephew wouldn't recognize me or, worse still, draw attention to my presence in his class. The last thing I needed was unwelcome family scrutiny intruding upon my already complicated school life.

After class, I slipped away to the bathroom for a quick break, but was quickly cornered by a group of girls from my class. One of them, with a teasing lilt to her voice, probed, "You've been very quiet lately, Mya. Something happened?" Her eyes gleamed with curiosity, eager for some piece of gossip.

I chose not to engage, giving them no fuel to feed on. Ignoring her question, I focused on adjusting my bag and checking my reflection in the mirror, hoping they would lose interest and leave me alone. Sometimes, silence was the best shield against unwelcome prying.

Stumbling backward from the unexpected shove, I caught myself against the sink, my heart racing. "What was that for?" I yelled, frustration boiling over as I straightened up, facing the group with a mix of shock and anger.

The girls exchanged glances, their faces a blend of mock innocence and barely concealed smirks. "Just making sure you're still with us, Mya," one of them replied, her tone dripping with faux concern. It was clear they were enjoying this, using intimidation to amuse themselves at my expense.

Straightening up, I faced them squarely, my voice firm. "Just mind your own business," I said, pushing past them confidently. As I walked out, my shoulder bumped the "leader" of the group, a deliberate little nudge to assert myself. I didn't look back as I exited the bathroom, leaving their surprised faces behind.

As I muttered to myself, venting my frustration, I nearly bumped into Kuroo in the hallway. For a moment, I forgot he was a teacher here; it was so easy to slip back into our old dynamics. "Hey," I said, trying to regain my composure and remind myself of the roles we were supposed to be playing.

As we sat in the nurse's office, Kuroo helped me bandage my knees. "Thanks," I mumbled, feeling a mix of embarrassment and gratitude. "No problem," he replied, his voice softening. "But seriously, what happened back there?"

I hesitated, unsure if I should tell him the truth. But looking into his eyes, I found myself opening up. "A group of girls... they cornered me in the bathroom," I admitted, feeling a flush of indignation rise in my cheeks. "They were teasing me, pushing me around. I couldn't just let them walk all over me."

Kuroo deftly wrapped the bandage around my knees once more, his movements gentle yet precise. "Those girls again, huh?" he remarked, a hint of exasperation in his tone. "Are you sure you're okay though?"

I nodded, offering a weak smile. "Yeah, it's not too bad. Just a few bruises."

He paused, studying my expression with a knowing look. "But how about everything else? Are you feeling any better from yesterday?"

I blinked, caught off guard by his question. How did he know about last night? "Uh, yeah," I stammered, unsure how much to reveal. "I mean, I guess I'm okay."

"Semi mentioned you were at a party," Kuroo continued, his gaze searching mine for answers. "After everything that happened, I thought you were done with that."