63. Spin the Web, Lock the Prey

Anari

Anari once again turned down the invitation to play cards extended to her by her fellow assassins. Since the second trial of the tournament was over, everyone was taking time to celebrate and reset until the next round.

Sun Bai had his own agenda for the evening. He encouraged Anari to take the night off. Her first instinct was to call on Bodhi, but the monk would likely be celebrating with Ritsu and Ham Song.

While Anari knew that both herself and the monk had enough finesse to find a way to each other, she was also aware that it would be difficult for Bodhi to get away. For that reason, the spider didn't want to spoil their evening.

So instead, Anari took to the Kawaii streets, her dark leather fringe swishing as she walked. Chibi characters from pastel billboards reflected on the surfaces of her round shades.

Even with nothing to do and really nowhere to go, Anari had all of this... excitement collecting inside her, conflicting with what she feared might happen if Ritsu kept gaining momentum. She couldn't deny it anymore. She wanted to see him win.

When he made it past the wondrous and true trial by the skin of his teeth – when he took the time to bask in the moment, covered in sweat and reeking of exhaustion – that had been so iconic.

"Hey, Beautiful."

Anari slowed her walk.

There was a vendor just outside of the entrance to the hotel. The top of his small card table was covered with immaculately folded T-shirts with the phrase: That's my fry cook hero! stamped across the chest.

Anari turned and met a pair of scarlet eyes.

"I have the perfect size for you." The vendor held up a shirt and shook it out. "Look, I'll even give you a discount."

He was a typical sun clone, albeit a little out of shape and on the shorter side. Despite his oily smile and gold tooth, Anari sensed that he was good natured and had an eye for business.

Gently, the spider said, "Sorry. I don't have any money."

"I'm open to trade," he said. "Care to part with a token of Luck for the T-shirt of a lifetime?"

Anari shook her head with a smile. "Maybe next time."

As she walked away, the sun clone called after her, "Watch out for him. The Fry Cook Hero's gonna win this thing, you know. You just gotta have faith."

Anari didn't stop or look back. Still smiling, she whispered, "I do."

I have too much of it actually.

The scenery changed the further from the stadium Anari traveled. She had chosen the path that would take her straight to the Heavenly River.

There were several blind spots in the foundation of the bridge where Anari had laid silken traps. They were there to protect any hapless spirit who had wandered too far. Every few days, Anari would check them.

Sun Bai hadn't told her to do this. The undercurrent of moaning and buzz of spiritual tension that the spider felt whenever she drew near made her realize that the bridge was dangerous to be around. Those trapped essences had been there long enough to rot into lesser demonkind. With the right sort of pressure, that tenuous seal would break.

Anari prayed that they would be out of the province before those poor rotten souls came loose.

The grainy sand crunched under Anari's boots as she walked out onto the shores of the Heavenly River. The bridge loomed overhead, the lights lining its pathway were bright, but often interrupted by the pillars of its foundation.