Learning

Papyrus found Sans hiding in the kitchen under the sink. The poor toddler was rattling with anxiety, and it had taken Papyrus a few hours to calm him down again. Papyrus read to Sans Fluffy Bunny, and they got some learning in. And then some more. Then even more. Grillby hadn't been kidding when he said Sans loved to learn. The next morning, he was surprised to find Sans awake and pouring over the flashcards. "Sans, Did You Sleep?" He knew he'd tucked his toddler-ified brother in and read to him again until he thought he was asleep... "no." Sans replied calmly with surprisingly good pronunciation. "i... learn... words..." He sounded out slowly before he beamed and held out the flashcards to Papyrus. "see?" Papyrus did see, and he was very proud, but... "Yes, Wonderful Job Sans... But You Need Sleep, Little Brother. We Can Do More Learning When You Wake Up!" Papyrus promised, and the words were so foreign on his tongue. Him telling Sans to sleep was something he didn't think he'd ever get used to. Sans frowned as he set down the flashcards and looked between them and Papyrus. Finally, after a long moment, he beamed. "otay!"

🥼🥼🥼

Sans had allowed Papyrus to pick him up and carry him to bed for a nice nap. After, Papyrus made himself some breakfast spaghetti and called Alphys to see if she needed anything from him or Sans to help in her research. There was nothing, but she promised to call if she did need anything. He put on some Mettaton to run in the background as he did the dishes and tidied up the kitchen and living room for the optimal learning experience! He then checked on a heavily sleeping Sans. That was good... Sans needed the sleep to get big and strong and great like himself! Of course... he knew that wouldn't happen since Sans was technically already an adult, but Papyrus could dream! And he dreamed that Sans hadn't spent his younger years in a terrible place with a terrible monster where he feared others and had nobody to care for him... at least, not until Grillby. Papyrus was glad Sans had Grillby, and he was glad that he'd had Sans to care for him. Papyrus felt that he was the luckiest monster alive to have a brother like Sans.

🥼🥼🥼

True to his word, Papyrus and Sans learned some more while Sans simultaneously had pizza for lunch. Papyrus worked with Sans on his counting this time, and true to his ways, Sans picked up on it at an incredibly fast rate. Papyrus wondered if Sans did remember all this from being a 27 year old lazy bones or if he was just a natural talent. He wished he'd asked when Sans was a 27 year old lazybones. "Why Don't We Put Your Wonderful Counting Skills To The Test? I Need To Get Food For The House, Would You Like To Come With?" Sans reached out to Papyrus without hesitation, and Papyrus picked him up. Together, they went to the store, and while Papyrus shopped, Sans observed the monsters around him. He hid when he caught the eye of a certain fish woman. "It's Alright Sans, I've Got You..." He pet Sans in soft reassurance. Undyne was not so kind. "PAPYRUS! What the hell is that!?" Papyrus held Sans closer as he started to shake, and Papyrus’s tone was short and clipped as he answered. "He Is Sans, And He Is Like This Because Of You." Undyne froze in surprise as Papyrus went to the counter and let Sans count out the money for their groceries. Both brothers couldn't have been prouder.