Chapter 14

Zayne

I held her close and danced with her.

If I had been around when those cowards attacked her, I would have made them pay. They had ganged up on her when she was already in distress, from what Aicha said.

If it weren't for my promise to Naina, I would have told the whole world what that freak had done.

I swayed her gently, my mind racing. I would start work again tomorrow. What would Naina do when I'm at work?

"Zayne?" Naina's voice was muffled, but I felt the vibration from her sound on my shoulder. I smiled. "Thank you."

I wasn't sure what she was thanking me for, but it made me feel slightly better.

"I can cancel the dinner we have with my friends and mentor," I told her. They had expressed wanting to meet her, but I didn't want to put her through it, especially after what had happened earlier today.

She pulled back, creating space between us. "I want to meet your friends," she said resolutely.

"Are you sure?" I asked her, pushing a strand of hair from her face.

She nodded.

We arrived at a rooftop restaurant featuring North Indian cuisine.

We were the first to arrive and sat next to each other at a table for six. "You met Samarth and Prashant at our wedding. They are cardiology fellows who work with me. Samarth is in his second year with me, and Prashant is in his first year," I reintroduced them as they arrived.

"Thank you for coming to our wedding," Naina smiled at them. She wore a pink salwar kameez with flowers on it, which complemented her complexion beautifully. I didn't know if it was the attire or her natural radiance, but she looked stunning to me.

"This is Menon Sir, a third-year PG, and his wife Ashwini. They have a little baby girl at home," I introduced them to Naina.

"How old is your baby?" Naina inquired.

"Eight months old. She's with my mother," Ashwini informed.

"I love kids. Do you have pictures?" Naina asked Ashwini. I was glad Menon sir had brought his wife with him. Naina seemed at ease talking to her. I watched as she oohed and aahed at the baby pictures and smiled.

"Yeah, these babies are great in photos, but they're not easy. They really test your strength, patience, and also your marriage," Ashwini told Naina with a laugh.

I listened in but made no comment. I would love to have a kid with Naina someday. But first, we needed to figure ourselves out. I spoke to Prashant for a bit about a patient on our team.

"Maybe in about a couple of years. I want to finish my fellowship before having kids," I heard Naina say. I smiled. She wanted to have kids with me. The thought warmed my heart. I wanted to draw her into a hug but kept my distance.

"Eat!" I whispered into Naina's ear when I saw her playing with her food. "Or I'll feed you."

"Don't you dare!" she hissed at me under her breath.

I draped my hand around her chair. "Look," I pointed up at the stars. They were clearly visible. The Mangalore skies were cloudy, and you could barely see the stars from there.

Naina looked up, and I watched her face as she smiled. I caught the moment when her eyes widened and her smile shook. Her eyes shone in the starlight, and a single tear fell down her cheek.

"Excuse me," she said after wiping her eyes. "I just need to use the restroom."

"Do you want me to come with you?" I asked her, concerned about how she was feeling. Everyone at the table laughed. "Machaa, maybe let her go to the restroom alone," Prashant teased. I smiled dryly.