41. Stuck On Self Sabotage

The next few hours passed in a blur for the group. The sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in shades of pink and orange, but Niko couldn't take his eyes off Aj. He saw him laughing with their friends, talking animatedly, his hands gesturing wildly as he made a point. And then he'd see him glance over at Niko, a look of sadness in his eyes that tore at Niko's heart.

Brooke didn't stay long after Aj and Niko's conversation, much to Aj's relief. However, this was the only distraction Niko had from the reason for his heartache. He couldn't help but watch Aj, wishing he could go back in time and not say anything about his feelings. The way Aj kept glancing at him, then quickly looking away, was killing him. He knew Aj needed space, but he didn't know how to give it to him without feeling like he was losing a part of himself.

In front of the group on the picnic blanket, Sharky decided to bury Kenny in the warm sand. Their laughter filled the air as they revelled in their shared moment of fulfilling childhood fantasy. The sun beat down on their backs, and the gentle lapping of the waves nearby created a serene backdrop to their merriment. Even though the rest of the group had long since moved on to eating and chatting together, Sharky and Kenny seemed content in their own little world.

"So, what's going on with them two then?" Filly asked, nodding his head in the direction of Sharky and Kenny. "They seem awfully touchy lately."

There was a brief silence as everyone glanced over at the two boys. The rest of the beta boys were unsure whether they were ready to be open to the rest of their friends. Sharky and Kenny had always been close, but there was something different about their interactions now that was obvious to their other friends.

"Hey, Sharky! What's up with you and your boy toy?" Darkest called out with a smirk, gesturing between him and Kenny. There was a brief pause as Sharky looked up, a blush creeping onto his cheeks.

"Boy-toy?! Excuse me?!" Kenny retorted, glaring at Darkest, then pouting up at his boyfriend. "I'm not anyone's toy!"

Sharky chuckled, shaking his head. "You being buried in the sand beneath me definitely doesn't help your case, love." He leaned down to whisper in Kenny's ear.

The blush deepened on Sharky's cheeks as he glanced over at the group, which was still watching them intently. "Well, if you haven't guessed already, me and Kenny are together."

There was cheering and congratulations from the three men who did not already know. It was clear that they were happy for Sharky and Kenny. Looking back at his own boyfriend, Sharky could sense the slight fear hidden in his face before turning back. "We're keeping it private for now, so if you could not tell anyone else, that would be great." He said.

"Of course, man. Your secret is safe with us." Filly assured them.

Sharky and Kenny exchanged glances, grateful for their friends' understanding. Sharky placed a kiss on the forehead of his buried boyfriend. "Thanks, guys. It means a lot." He said, smiling.

"Now, can you let me out? I want to take you out to the sea and leave you there for the water to take you out!" Kenny exclaimed, playfully struggling against the sand around him.

"Hmm, tempting, but I would much rather you take me out on a date instead. How about later tonight you and me go out to that fancy new restaurant we've been wanting to go to?" Sharky suggested, his voice filled with the same playfulness as before.

Kenny grinned up at Sharky, sand falling from his face. "Deal. But don't you dare try anything funny, or I'll drown you myself." He threatened, laughing, as he once again tried to push himself out of the sand. Sharky laughed, shaking his head.

"Right, start digging your lover out of the sand, or we are leaving him here." Chunkz said with a laugh as he pushed himself up from the ground. The others began to stand as well, stretching their muscles and brushing the sand from their clothes.