Secret

When I woke up in a bed the next day, you can imagine I quite alarmed. I was in a bed, and in a boy's room by the look of the decor. The sun was shining softly through a slightly curtained window.

I had on a different shirt, and there was a bandage around my waist, it went under my wings. All while I was unconscious, and I was mortified. There was no way she couldn't have seen, and what about the others? I remember a boy and a girl, taller than me, probably twins, and the father. Would they keep my secret? Would I be on the run again?

There was a soft knock on the door. I tensed as it was opened, and the woman who helped me walked in. She had black hair and pale green eyes.

"Hi, good to see you're awake, we were never properly introduced, my name is Faith, but you can call me Mrs. Santos." She held out her hand.

I nervously reached out to shake it. "William, but most people call me Will." I don't know why I told her my real name.

"Well, Will, we're having breakfast in five, you're welcome to join us."

She started to turn around but I stopped her. "Wait! Um, could I have my sweatshirt?" The feathers lining my shoulder were painfully obvious.

She seemed to tense, as if noticing that too. "They're being washed, you gave us quite a scare last night."

My face fell. "Oh," my stomach rumbled. I wanted that breakfast. So I got up and followed Mrs. Santos to her dining area.

It was a small room, but had lots of windows, which I liked. The wood of the table was dark, and had a white table cloth, it was homey. Of course the table was already set, and the teens from last night ogled at me. The father was reading a newspaper, but looked up when I walked it.

"Hi, I'm Will." I waved awkwardly.

The girl was the first to move. She stood and held up her hand. I shook it.

"Gratuity," She said, her green eyes sparkled like her mother's.

The boy simply waved. "Alex."

"You can call me Mr. Santos."

I sat down across from them, and Mrs. Santos came in with a plate stacked with pancakes. I will not not lie to you, I may have drooled a bit. But I politely waited till she came in with another plate of eggs, then bacon, and two jars of syrup.

She took a seat next to me. "Dig in people."

I started with three pancakes, then moved onto a side of eggs with three pieces of bacon. Two more pancakes, more eggs, and more bacon.

"Well don't hold back," Mrs. Santos mused after my third severing, I still felt empty.

I blushed. "I'm really hungry."

"I can see that," Mr. Santos put in.

Mrs. Santos put a hand on my shoulder and I tensed, she could feel my feathers, and I considered shrugging her off.

"Will, last night, we heard the gunshots, what happened, does it have anything to do with...." her hand slid down slightly, I could feel it resting on the tip of my wing under the shirt. I swallowed uncomfortably, pushing her hand off. everyone looked at me expectantly

"There was a man after me, he uh, had a gun, and yeah, it had to do with.... that." I didn't meet their gazes, taking a sip from a glass, my throat feeling dry.

"So it's true? You're the boy with wings?" Gratuity spoke up.

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. I didn't feel hungry anymore.

"How did it happen? Are there more like you?" Asked Mrs. Santos.

"I don't know."

She glanced at her husband, a look of worry plastered on her face. It was almost like they had a silent agreement, she offered me another pancake.

"Where are your parents?" She asked.

A lump in my throat welled up, I didn't answer. She nodded.

"Ah, you probably need a place to crash," she smiled at me and ruffled my hair.

The corners of my mouth twitched upwards. And I bit into my seventh pancake. These people were really nice, maybe I could stay here for a while.

"I have a theory," Mrs. Santos announced.

"Well my guess is your metabolism burns calories faster than normal, so naturally you have to eat a lot."

"That makes sense, I guess," I said.

"Then by all means, take our leftovers!"

It was an hour later I finally felt full. There was nothing left, Alex even let me finish up his plate. I was full of energy, and needed to get up in the air. After My shirt was finished drying, I switched Alex's for my modified one. Then I was gone.

"Where are you going?" Asked Gratuity when she saw the open the door.

"Exercise," I tried.

She slammed her hand down on the door frame, scaring the feathers out of me. Gratuity stared me straight in the eye, I actually took a step back.

"You had better not be leaving, Mom will throw a fit if you leave." She practically growled.

Both of then engaged in a serious staring contest. I started sweating, this was intense, and it only took a few minutes for me to back down.

"Please let me out?" I begged.

"Only if you let me come with you."

I felt like growling myself. "Fine, good luck keeping up."

"Please, I'm the fastest runner in my class, counting the boys."

I sighed in relief as I felt the open air again. The house was starting to get to me. With a grin, I glanced back at her.

"Whoever said anything about running?"

I started of in a sprint, pulling the sweatshirt over my head as I did. I heard her gasp behind me when I spread my huge white wings and began pumping them up and down. My toes skidded off the dirt, I jumped, and I was up.

I threw my arms out into the air as I felt the breeze on my face. This was amazing, I swooped and circled back around to see Gratuity's astonished face. I felt like a marvel. With the ground stretched below me, there was nothing I couldn't do.

I tried tipping my primaries in different directions, the result was incredible. My turns were sharp, and the wind played with my feathers. I laughed, savoring the feeling. I looked down again to discover the entire family was sitting out on their porch, staring up at me. It was a few more minutes before I tired out.

I dipped downward, aiming for the ground, leveling off at the last second and throwing my feet out. I made a clumsy landing, in which I nearly fell flat on my my face. But I felt exhilarated, it was so worth it.

I smiled at the amazed faces of the family, maybe this place wouldn't be so bad after all.