Winging it

I wore my hood the next day, There was no way I could have these four worrying about me. I was already doing that enough by myself. I needed to break it to them slowly, I couldn't stay here, it would put them in danger. I spent a good majority of the early hours stressing over what to do. They would probably provide me with supplies, so check that off my list. I had went to town once and bought a backpack with money I had brought from my parents house, plus there were tons of free maps they were giving out. Along with some clothes I bought and a few borrowed ones from Alex, I was almost set.

    I broke it to them after breakfast. Mrs. Santos was putting away plates when I cleared my throat.

    "I have to leave." I announced.

    Mr. Santos chocked on his coffee, the twins just gave me shocked looks.

    "Why?" Asked Gratuity.

    "I can't stay here, not that it isn't the nicest thing anyone's every done for me, but I'm putting you in danger."

    "Danger?" Alex questioned.

    I sighed. "The same people who, you know..." I gestured to my back. "Want me back, that's how I ended up like this in the first place."

    "We can keep you safe here." Mrs. Santos interjected.

    I shook my head. "Not if they have more guns."

    The kids were looking up at their mom, and the couple were sharing a look again. I could see the gear turning in her brain.

    "Where will you go?"

    "Washington, if there are more people.... Like me.... I want to help them."

    "How will you get there?"

    I grinned. "I have special powers, they allow me to fly."

    She shook her head. "I can't allow you to do this."

    "You have too, all I need is some food, long lasting provisions, everything else is already packed-"

    "You're already packed!?" She squawked.

    I could see this was getting me nowhere, time to use my plan B. "I need to do this, and... There's another reason too....."

    I sheepishly pulled down my hood, and they gawked at the feathers on my neck. I waited, while her mortified face grasped for words.

    "There's more!"

    I nodded. "And they keep growing if I don't find a cure, which might be at the place I'm going."

    "But, we can take you!"

    "I'm faster on my own."

    She had paled, gasping like a fish for a better answer. "But what about your stitches, it'll be weeks before they heal."

    I lifted up my shirt to reveal a faint scar. Something else I discovered, I have extraordinary healing powers. The family gaped at me.

    "But, but...." She trailed off.

    "Thank you for letting me stay, you're a really nice family." I said, feeling chocked up.

    She sighed. "What do you need?"

    It was a few minuted later I had stacked my backpack full of durable food. I didn't really want to stress over good byes so I hugged everyone before launching myself into the sky.

    I still felt bittersweet about leaving, but I had to, I couldn't let what was happening to me, happen to other kids.

    But I did keep one thing with me, the strange picture of the three babies, and a photo of the whole family. I wanted to get to the bottom of the Santos mystery. Maybe I could do that at the lab, after all they probably contained a world database of knowledge.