Frenemies

As it turns out, the beach really was just rocks and water. It was cold water too, absolutely freezing.

The weird thing was, the sand was black.

I picked up a handful and watched as the large chunks slid through my fingers. It left coal-like dust on my palm, which I whipped off on my pants.

We actually had to bundle up a bit before coming out here. Which I wasn't happy about until presented with what Mr. Wales was starting to call WilliamWear™ my own personal clothes brand. Which basically meant my wings stuck out in the back, they didn't get cold because they were covered in feathers.

"Black?" I asked skeptically.

"It's something to do with he volcanoes on the island." She explained sifting her mittened hand through them.

A few other people had come with us, including creepy doctor Howard from my trip here, some other kids, and tons of body guards. Principal Wales himself was here.

"I have my assistant running things back at the base." He explained, when I asked him if he had things to do.

"Oh, where are we?" I questioned, hoping he would at least tell us what country.

"A large chunk of private land I own. It's best kept a secret, not even my nephew knows exactly where this place is." He pulled the parka's fur lined hood up over his face.

I personally loved the cold wind blowing against my feathers. Instead of the heavier jackets I had just brought a sweatshirt, which I was considering tying around my waist.

"Where is Justin?" I asked.

"I always send him out with my team when we pick up kids. Being the only normal person in the school, it's good for the new people to meet someone who won't judge them for who they are." He answered, sitting down on the rough gravely substance with a contented sigh.

I joined him. Being with Mr. Wales was like hanging out with those adults that knew how to be cool around kids of the modern age. Kind of like being around a father. 

Thinking back of my parents brought a pang of guilt so strong I got choked up. They probably thought I was dead. After nobody saw me again, the media just accepted it as an elaborate hoax. Some teenager who wanted his ten seconds of fame even came out and pretended to be me, but explained how flying was all a trick. Mr. Wales had explained it all on our way here, via abandoned-looking heavily-enforced underground tunnel. I had no idea what was going about in the world since the Lab confiscating my phone. Which I never got back now that I thought about it.

Genny joined me, humming a tune while stretching out on the cold, black, beach.

"What made you want to make a school for kids like us?" I asked Mr. Wales suddenly.

"Well, there are lots of gifted people in this world who need a place to learn." he stated.

I sighed discontentedly. "Yeah right, 'gifted'."

Then I blushed. "Sorry I didn't mean it that way, it's just..."

He glanced at me while I hugged my knees in shame. I curled my wings in closer to my body, not sure what to say now.

"Well William, most of the kids in this school would agree with you. After all you're just kids, this is a very distressing time and age."