Justin the Invisible

It was Casey alright, I watched her chest rise and fall with a cold sense of horror in my stomach.

"Sh-Sh-she was dead." Tyler stuttered.

I swallowed dryly. I couldn't even bring myself to speak, just stare in shocked silence at the apparently breathing human before me. I shakily leaned down and checked for a pulse, just to be sure.

She had no pulse.

There was no pulse but her chest continued to rise and fall steadily. I gasped and stood up, stepping away from her.

"What?" Tyler asked.

"She has no pulse," I breathed, barely getting the words out.

He held her wrist to make sure him self, then any color that had returned to her face seeped out again.

"That's...." He didn't even finish his sentence.

He looked up at me for a second, the silence unbearable as our breaths came out in white steamy clouds. This was not normal.

"She needs help." I chocked out dangerously.

He nodded. Together me managed to carry her (breathing, ugh) body to the cliff. I devised a plan where we would both carry her down. We wouldn't be able to gain lift with her weight, but we could slow the fall. When Mr. Wales saw us crash down to the pebbles with a body he came running up looking flustered.

"Take her too the medical ward." He said after a few minutes.

We returned quickly, wide eyed and silent. This was serious, how could someone breath without a pulse?

When we got back to the school they took Casey to to their doctors. I needed to lie down, part of me was scared she wouldn't wake while the other questioned if that was the best thing for me right now.

As I lay in bed, my headache came rolling back in slow waves. I groaned and pushed my hands against my head, feeling along the faint white scar on the forehead. That's where they had cut me open. I winced at the memory.

I forced myself to get up so I could get another pain killer. Casey was being held where the serious injuries were treated, sort of like a mini ER, I just needed some medicine.

The door was closed, it didn't lock so if it was closed it was either by accident or privacy reasons. I knocked sharply, hating how the light here seemed to be murdering my eye sockets. The my surprise there was a crashing noise and a yelp.

"Don't come in!" Justin yelled sternly.

I sighed. "Please? I have a headache."

"Don't. Come. In." He warned.

I growled and pressed my head against the walls. What the heck was he doing in there anyway? Last time I checked he wasn't injured, or sick, or in any pain whatsoever. Unless you count the time I nearly crushed him, but that had been a long time ago. Also, where had his black eye gone to? last time I checked Justin was a normal human without sustained healing.

"Justin, I'm coming in." I announced, deciding I had enough of this, all I needed was like an ice pack or something.

He protested again, but I ignored him and twisted the handle. Only I was surprised to find he wasn't there.

The room was empty.

"Justin?" I questioned, feeling creeped out.

I checked in the obvious places, under the bed, in a closet. After that I simply tried to ignore it and went for some medicine. Only stopped when I heard a small eep! It sounded like it was close, but again it appeared there was nothing left in the room but me.

I took the medicine and left. I would ask him about it later, right now I had a few different things on my plate that were more important. the top of that list being I needed a power nap, right now. Only I couldn't fall asleep easily.

How had Casey survived that fire?

Frightening dreams haunted me when I finally fell asleep. I was standing in a dark hallway that eerily reminded me of the school, but the walls were broken and torn down. Splinters of wood and broken furniture lay everywhere. Paint peeled and pictures lay shredded with fragment of glass still stuck in the frame. I shivered at the violent cold, this felt too real for a dream. I could feel the broken bits of glass under my shoes, trying to be careful where I stepped.

What had happened?

There was a cracking from from behind me and I whirled around.

Out of the darkness shined two glowing red eyes.

At first I thought in was Tyler, then I became aware of a whirring sound as the thing came closer. Whirr, thud, whirr, thud, whirr, thud. My hands were shaking but I couldn't bring myself to move. I needed to see what it was, besides it couldn't hurt me in a dream right?

It stepped closer, and with a gasp of shock I realized the thing was Casey. She had been turned into what looked like a half-human half-robot creature. A cyborg, staring at me with electronic red coals. Wires randomly stuck out from her skin, some places glowing red from LED lights. She didn't look human, or even sane for that matter.

She made several clicks when her head urned to look at me curiously. For a second she seemed harmless, I froze.

Then she shot foreword towards my neck.

I screamed and sat up, taking a few minutes to figure out I was still in my bed, and it was the middle of the night, and I may have awakened the other two who were previously sleeping soundly.

"What happened?" Tyler questioned, leaping up.

"Nothing, it was just a bad dream." I sighed, rubbing my neck embarrassed.

Then my hand came away flecked with red. I sucked in a shaky breath and was now fully awake. I slid off the bed and quickly located a mirror. There was a large scratch stretching from my right ear to my collarbone.

"Nothing? I beg to differ." He accused.

"How? I, but. I was dreaming." I said dumbly.

"Stop muttering and spit it out." He spat.

"I was dreaming, and this... thing... attacked me. I wake up and I have this." I pointed to my bleeding neck.

"You need a bandaid?" He asked, clearly not believing me.

"What? No, I mean yes. How could something hurt me in a dream?" I reached for my personal medical supplies in my footlocker while Tyler hovered over me.

My hand brushed against is file, the one with all his information. Should I give it to him now? No, first I had to figure all this out, then, at a more peaceful, non stressful time, he would know. Just not now.

After bandaging myself up, I realized I should probably consult an adult, at least someone who could tell me what was going on. Like Principle Wales, he was the one adult I really liked in this school. I had no idea where to find him.

"Do you know where I could find Mr. Wales at this time?" I asked him weakly.

He shrugged. "Try asking the kid related to him, you do realize his nephew's right there?"

I shrugged his sarcastic manner off and stood to go wake up Justin. There was a lump under the blanket where it looked like he was laying, but when I peeled it off, there was nothing.

Seriously nothing, not even a pillow, just air, but there was still a lump. It was like he had turned invisible.

"Whoa," commented Tyler. "That's not normal."

Before I could stop him he leaned forwards to see if he could touch anything. There was a surprised squeak.

And Justin melted out of thin air.