Spoiler!!

Alethea Montgomery POV

She's gone crazy! There's bloody tears coming from her bloodshot eyes, while her right hand has a gun pressed against her head.

"Put the fucking gun down right now Evelyn! Don't— You can't do this to yourself— to me!" I yell crying, trying to step towards her, but she presses the gun to her head even more.

"Stop! Fucking stop Alethea! Come any closer and I will pull the trigger. You out of everyone should know I am not a liar." Evelyn says smiling through her tears manically.

Who is this person? This is not Evelyn.

"Please! Please— stop Evelyn, I'm sorry! Put the gun down. Everything will be okay." I say calmly, trying to convince her.

She hesitates for a moment, staring back at me with regret. There's blood all over her clothes, the smell of alcohol coming from her mouth. She doesn't smell like honey and cherry anymore.

There are bruises and bandaids on her arm. And she's lost some weight.

"Don't end this! Don't end us? Remember a year ago? We sat under the stars watching—" i go to say, but I am interrupted.

"God dammit! Stop—" Evelyn's voice cracks, as if she doesn't want to do this. Like she's forced.

"Stop this shit Alethea! Don't act like you care about us now? I've never meant anything to you and you know it." She continues.

How could she say that. After everything we've been through? This is all my fault. She's not going to die, it should be me instead. Oh god what have I done.

"I'm sorry Evelyn! Please put down the gun and we will talk. You know this is not right. I shouldn't have said what I did. Listen to me—"

I hear the gun click.

Evelyn loaded the gun just now. Oh god. What the fuck have I done!? She's really going to do this. I can't lose the love of my life.

She starts laughing deeply. Scratch that. Manically. My heart sinks even further in my chest at the sound. I've never been so scared of her in my life.

I made her this way.

She slowly stops laughing and her face breaks into guilt and regret before it shifts back into nothing. What was that?

"I love you. I'll always love you Alethea. But you don't love me the way I do. Remember this is all your fault." She says numbly. As if it is forced.

No! What is she saying? She's gone insane, she's not stable—

"Baby please!" I drop to my knees, as my breathing becomes heavier and heavier.

"I love you and I always have! You're not stable Evelyn— you don't know what you're doing! Or what you're saying! Everything will be okay if you just stop." I plead.

She bends down and stares into my eyes. These are not the same eyes i've looked into my whole life. Not the eyes of the person that I fell in love with. Not the person who risked her life to save me. These eyes are who I do not recognize.

Empty.

Broken.

All because of me.

She smiles, blood in between her teeth and dried blood on her lips, left from it dripping down earlier.

She begins laughing like she did earlier, but it is different. She's crying as she's laughing.

"Stop it. You're scaring me Evelyn..." I whisper looking up at her.

"Read the note I left in your drawer. You'll find everything there." She says expressionlessly. She was just laughing and crying— then she stopped on queue. Like her time was up.

This is not right. This is not Evelyn. Something is up. She wouldn't do this willingly. Right?

"Don't say that. I won't look in my drawer and read that. Because you're going to be here."

"I'll save you because you can't save yourself!" I yell. I'm praying to God she doesn't do it. I haven't prayed to God since I was 12.

"You're too late Alethea. For the first time, you're late." She says before the sound of a gun shot fills my ears.

Blood on my face.