5| GUISE

Scott
He played along.

Scottman69: Some say my eyes are green.
Zobaby: And are they?
Scottman69: Not to me but you would have to see them to make your own conclusion.

He was daring Zo to meet him. She never backed down from a challenge.

Zobaby: I will when the time comes.

Scott smirked. She would be more difficult to entice.

Scottman69: My turn for a question. How was your first day of work?
Zobaby: Is this your question or are you just asking me because you remembered?
Scottman69: We have been talking about this for a few weeks. Why would I forget? But, yes this is my question.

Scott thought about Zo the entire day. He was in a foul mood. The way she dumped him so abruptly pissed him off. Part of him felt bad that he went off on a new employee. He would feel guiltier if the employee didn't tell him off.

He never even learned her name before reprimanding her. He saw how her blue coat snatched her figure and enhanced her breasts. The color brought him back to Zo's eyes, her supposed eyes.

For some reason, Scott saw that Zo took longer to respond. He wondered whether her day went as bad as his. It couldn't be so.

Zo was a capable woman. She would often send him her grad presentations and Scott impressively did little corrections. She studied advertising. Many times he wanted to offer her a job but she would find it inappropriate, a handout.

He also never anticipated he would want more from their online relationship. Working together would be tricky. Still, he pondered his decision. She wouldn't be able to ghost him like she did had he offered a secure job after graduation, not that she needed his assistance.

Zobaby: Almost everyone loved me.
Scottman69: Trouble on the first day?
Zobaby: I wanted to make a good impression on everyone and I don't think I did.
Scottman69: Impressions could always be changed. They don't have to like you but respect your work.
Zobaby: You obviously don't know how I am.

Scott pondered the statement. He felt like he knew Zo quite well. He understood why it irked her that someone didn't fall for her charms.

She was constantly working, even at home. He recalled how Zo would list her day-to-day tasks. From cooking with her mother, helping her triplet brothers with homework, assisting her older brother with basic common sense to catering to her grandparents, Zo did it all and she never rested.

Scott comprehended that she was a hard worker. She wanted recognition because her family lacked the initiative to give it to her.

He reflected on his family life. Ada didn't need Scott to be CEO. She got bored with the job and decided family life was more important. His nephews and nieces were her new priority.

He wouldn't have a problem if his sister didn't treat him like one of her children. His younger brother, Bram, was at his throat.

Bram wanted the CEO position. He waits for the day Scott messes up and Ada is forced to remove him from the position.

They grew up with money but Bram wanted more. Ada wanted more. Nobody was ever satisfied and Scott wanted to spend the least time with his family possible.

Their approval was unimportant. He wanted to be left alone. Not even family was permanent and he would not be blindsided again.

Scottman69: Not everyone smiles when they are content. Don't make assumptions.

The new employee's white teeth came to mind. She smiled despite her hands clutching her purse and her neck elongating in a challenge. She was pissed but a smile never left her face.

Zo might be misinterpreting whoever she thought disliked her. This new chick certainly could have fooled anyone with her fake demeanor. Scott wanted Zo to understand that looks were deceiving. She was great and with time everyone would discover it. Although, he hoped Zo was talking about a female employee.

He wished she was not giving a male importance at her new job. He did not like that idea at all. Suddenly, he wished Zo was the ugliest person in the world. Only Scott should be on her mind.

Zobaby offline.

Scott clenched his fist. She left him without saying a word. He reread the message he sent her. It should not have pissed her off. Did it sound like he was scolding her?

"Fuck." He yelled in his room. Zo was playing with him. He was not upset that she left the chat. He was mad that he did not confirm whether they would talk again.

This could be their goodbye and it drove him insane. He had to go for a run. He changed to workout clothes and marched downstairs.

He went to the kitchen to grab a water bottle and Ada sat at the marble counter drinking what appeared to be a smoothie. "Offly late to go for a run." She sipped the pink substance, scrunching her nose at the taste.

Scott walked to the cabin to start a pre-workout drink. "I'm not in the mood."

She tried to hide a smile. "Shocker. What's the matter? Problems at work?"

Scott shut the upper cabin hard. "I suppose you have the answer to fix it, Mrs. CEO. Please indulge me how much I am fucking up."

Ada raised an eyebrow. Scott regretted his tone as soon as he talked. Ada was not the problem, but he did not worry. His sister was made of steel, although she looked pale now. "I will tell you what I tell my children since you act like one."

She stood up and poured the pink substance down the sink. "Act how you want to be treated. If you want me to treat you as competent, show it. Throwing tantrums at night, when someone is inquiring to help, makes me doubt your capabilities. It's not because I know it all. It's because you could learn a thing or two."

She coughed slightly. "Have a good run, Fraser." She exited toward the living room.

Scott chugged his drink down. He ticked off two ladies tonight.