8| DEAL

Zoraida couldn't turn her mind off the whole time in the bus ride back home. He called her Zo. There was no way he knew that's her nickname unless he knew she was the one from the dating app.

He was the boss. It would be simple to find an employee name, especially a new one. But to call them by a nickname they're not suppose to know was oddly suspicious.

She contemplated the look he gave her. He did appear to be taunting her. There was absolutely no way he could deduce she was Zobaby so fast.

She banged her head against a rail until the bus stopped and she had to load off. Getting home was a much needed reprieve. Like clockwork, she kissed her dad hello, ignored her brother, and fetched a cold one for her father.

She greeted the triplets by ruffling their hair. Then went to the kitchen where surely another task awaited her.

Her mother was serving plates. She had made caldo, one of Zo's favorites.

"A lot of work," her mother questioned as she motioned Zo to start placing the dishes on the table.

Zo nodded. "My boss wanted to talk to me about something."

"Did you get in trouble already? You talk too much. I told you to keep mouth shut. No talk back." Her mother's reprimand brought a smile on Zo's face. She didn't need to hear from her mouth that it was her big mouth that would get her into trouble.

That was evident these past days. "No. I don't know why he wanted to talk. I asked to go home. I don't get paid out of office hours."

Zo's mom spanked her bum. "You stay and listen next time."

Zo rolled her eyes but agreed. Dinner was the same. Everyone unwinded and laughed. Zoraida helped clean the kitchen before heading to her room. She had a lot of work.

Her department was counting on her already. They gave her a new project. The challenge thrilled her.

She wiped out her laptop to work, that was the intention. Instead, she found herself on the dating app.

He wasn't online. It grated her but it was for the best. For someone who called it quits, she was looking for him quite often.

She had no choice but to dive into actual work. Zo got lost in it. Before she knew it, it was close to midnight. She looked at her spread-out mess on her desk and grinned with satisfaction.

She had gotten a lot done. She deserved much needed rest. Before she could shut down her laptop, a ping caught her attention. It was the dating app's messenger. She thought she logged off.

Perhaps, she oversaw the mistake intentionally. She wanted to talk to scottman69 and probe him some more.

Scottman69: Did I upset you yesterday?

He had not, but she had to leave the chat. He was calling her out.

Zobaby: No. I lost connection.
Scottman69: Have you reconsidered then?
Zobaby: What?
Scottman69: Us.
Zobaby: No.
Scottman69: Then how come you wait for me to log on.

Zo had no words. She was waiting for him wether she admitted it or not. She doesn't want to end their relationship besides having the dark truth looming over her shoulder; he might be her boss.

Zobaby: If I tell you I still wish to talk to you but don't want to meet, will you accept the proposition?
Scottman69: Is there no room for negotiation?
Zobaby: None. Terms are indefinite.

There was a long pause. Zoraida knew she was playing with fire.

Scottman69: Zo, I will find out your secret. But for now, I won't press the issue.